Garden "Calendar"???

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Erica, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Hi there-
    I live in the lower mainland and I am fairly new at gardening (bought my first house 3 years ago and have been dabbling since then).
    Is there a book or website for the Northwest that has a suggested calendar of what I should/could be doing in each month?
    Ie: March- prune back roses, plant sunflowers, start bean seed indoors
    Thanks for any help!

2. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

For fun, try reading The Farmers Almanac...but really, just talk to the long time residents in your 'hood' and be amazed how much there is to know,learnand experiment...gardening is a labour of love for most, be it lush to floral landscapes or veggies and raked pea gravel ...I start my tomatoes indoors now, last few days were perfect for pruning, weeding...if you live on the coast, all seasons provide a putter space for any diehard gardener like myself, start Figs from cuttings now for example...Good luck!

3. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

For veggie gardening, Seattle Tilth puts out a gardening month by month guide that could apply to the lower mainland.

4. wrygrass2

wrygrass2 Active Member 10 Years

Here east of the Cascades we add a month on to everything they do on the west side. :) Harry

5. pierrot

pierrot Active Member 10 Years

Erica

why not contact your local garden centre. these places regularly put out a news letter or a garden calendar for the lower mainland

try the Gardenworks stores 10 in the lower mainland, Cedar Rim in Langley or the Art Knapps in Coquitlam.

Pierrot

6. Paulina

Paulina Active Member

Upper Fraser Valley, Beautiful British Columbia!
  7. learning curve

learning curve Member

hi,

i'm really new to gardening as well but i've found the calendar in the front of "west coast seeds" catalogue to be very helpful. Its west coast appropriate and goes over most of the main veggies and herbs you might want to plant.

cheers
    nicole

8. Erica

Erica Active Member

Thanks for all the suggestions-
    Nicole (or anyone)- Where do you get seed catalouges from?

9. Erica

Erica Active Member