Strawberry plant leaves curling

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Charmainealbano, May 3, 2019.

1. Charmainealbano

Charmainealbano New Member

We have some strawberry plants and they were doing very well . But now some of the leaves are curling up. There’s no brown spots or anything but there’s leaves that are dying and have brown bits . 2/3 plants are like this but all in same soil x. Last picture is of plant that’s okay .

It has been raining quite a bit . Is this from over watering if so what can I do

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Doesn't look like anything to worry about to me. Although, what sort of product are these planted in?

Michigander likes this.
  3. Charmainealbano

Westland multipurpose grow bag

4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I assume that drainage holes or slits have been cut into the bottom of each bag to prevent rain water from accumulating. Also, I notice that these young plants already have blooming flowers. Spring-planted plants should have the first flowers removed to allow enough leaves to develop for supporting a large berry crop. If you leave the early flowers on, the plants will produce small berries and a reduced overall crop. Commercial growers remove all flowers from June-bearing plants to maximise the second-year crop. I only grow day-neutral varieties and pick off the flowers until each plant has at least a few full-size leaves.

Charmainealbano likes this.
  5. Charmainealbano

Yup they they have drainage slits
    How do I remove the flowers . Just cup before them?

6. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I just pinch individual flowers or clusters off with my fingers or remove taller clusters by cutting the stem with my hand clippers. Some of the flowers are too close to the heart of the plant for easy cutting.