Cereus with rot at soil level...

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Mardi, May 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Mardi

Mardi New Member

Hello kind cacti wranglers. I've got a cereus who was a special gift, given to me a year ago. Since then, I moved to upstate New York, into a very chilly old farmhouse. One of the four legs bowed out around February, but the other three have been looking great. I did not water once through the Winter, but gave the plant a drink a few weeks ago (the little leg had already died and shriveled...I've not removed it, per the picture), and just yesterday I noticed a browning/rotting at soil level. NOOOOOOO!
    I am hoping one might have advice on how to proceed from here....whether to just not water and hope that it could dry out and scar? Can cereus be propagated from cuttings, so I should remove the base, let it dry and repot? The soil has just a touch of moisture at this point, certainly not 'wet', and no sour smell....Weather is beginning to warm here, I'm wondering if she's got a chance.

Thank you very kindly for your time. New York Winter has been a learning curve.
    - Mardi

Attached Files:

2. Will B

Will B Active Member

Once the rot is inside, like it appears to be in the photos, the chances of it just drying out and the plant recovering are close to zero based on my experience. Making cuttings is your best bet. Also, you should make sure you remove all the diseased tissue as the fungus will most likely continue to spread to the other cacti if left in place.

Mardi likes this.
  3. mandarin

mandarin Active Member 10 Years

It is relatively easy to root cuttings of this species, but, as mentioned, make sure that all discoloured tissue is removed from the cutting. Rot spreads faster on the inside of the plant, so the will probably end up with a shorter cutting than you expect.

Mardi likes this.
  4. Mardi

Mardi New Member

Thank you, Will and Mandarin, for your replies. I feel I've been so conservative with the water, but alas.

5. Will B

Will B Active Member

Sometimes the fungus strikes even when you've done everything right. Hate the fungus... still, some fungi are very useful. Love the fungus. So conflicted ;-)