Hostas as Vegetables

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by vitog, Apr 29, 2019.

1. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I recently learned that all species of the genus Hosta are edible and are grown as vegetables in some Asian countries. We have two clumps of Hostas in a shady bed on the north side of our house, and the clumps keep getting larger and larger, starting to shade out some adjacent plants. Since I was planning on reducing the size of the Hosta clumps anyway, I cut off some of the larger new shoots; and my wife sauteed them as a vegetable side for supper. We all thought that the flavour was very good, and we plan to eat a lot more of the shoots.

If you're going to try them, there is plenty of information on the Web about preparation and recipes; we just ate them plain to judge their natural flavour. One caution mentioned in Wikipedia is that they are poisonous to dogs, cats, and horses. Anyone eating them for the first time should try a limited amount in case they are allergic to them (seems to be rare).

wcutler likes this.
  2. Pieter

Pieter Well-Known Member 10 Years

Vito, my wife tried to convince me to try that this year. We have a older clump of Hosta 'Undulata Albomarginata' that's exhibiting fairy ring growth habits and it was due to get partially dug up anyway and we sorta had it earmarked for use of its shoots as veggies. I noticed however that as the shoots started to develop there was one of them that showed signs of sporting -see attachment- and we decided to leave it alone for this year. We'll see if anything worthwhile becomes of the apparent sport and we'll try again next year. Since the picture was taken the leaf has mostly unfurled and it still has a narrow green center stripe on that outer leaf but the others developing on that shoot are more like what you'd expect to see so I don't think it'll come back next season with that extremely wide margin. That saw-toothed seedling you see is a Helleborus seedling and in order to be able to save that I'll likely have to dig up the hosta anyway and will divide the section with the wide-margin shoot and keep it aside to see what 2020 will bring.

Attached Files:

3. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Pieter, the larger shoots in your photo appear to be perfect for harvesting and eating. I just finished removing all of the larger shoots on one clump of Hostas. The other clump has smaller shoots, and I took just a few for a flavour comparison.