Identification: Can this possibly be a maple?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Cjart, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Cjart

Cjart Well-Known Member

This a volunteer that overwintered in one of my flower pots. It certainly looks like a maple seedling except that the leaves are not in opposite pairs but seem to be triplets? Does this ever happen? Thanks! P1010581.jpg

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes; this happens occasionally with most species that normally have opposite leaves.

3. Cjart

Cjart Well-Known Member

Thanks, Michael. Something I didn't know could happen. It sprouted last year among my flowers in the pot and I almost pulled it out because I thought it couldn't be a maple, but forgot about it till this spring. Since it survived the winter here in Boise Idaho, I will grow it on in the pot and see if it continues to have groups of three leaves. I have 3 japanese maples growing in the bed where the pot resides. Garnet, Aureum and Mikazuki. However everything is close to a large silver maple that is in the yard. Guess it's not necessarily an acer palmatum, but it is interesting.

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'd been going to suggest Silver Maple as the likely species! If you have a large one nearby, then that's what it is - I only didn't suggest it because Boise is out of its native range so I wasn't sure if there would be a seed source for it.

5. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I had a leader on A. pseudoplatanus 'Esk Sunset' with triples all up it this winter. The birds were so thrilled that they ate all the buds, and I thought best to cut it off finally.

Indeed that looks like a Silver Maple seedling. We are due a Silver Maple apocalypse in a few weeks, judging from the amount of fruit on the ground...

6. Cjart

Cjart Well-Known Member

Indeed! Boise has a lot of Silver Maples planted all over the city and we inherited ours. It is very large and shades the house and some of my Japanese maples. I guess that the majority of the little seedlings I find are silver maples and I don't need another one for sure. It will be fun to see what this one does though.

7. vbx

vbx Active Member

I have an autumn blaze that looks just like that.