Help my little plant!!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by HelenTam, Mar 17, 2006.

1. HelenTam

HelenTam Member

HI
    I have bought my small indoor plant for a month
    It looks good at the begining, but it started to become dry and wilt these two weeks.
    Its leaves is dropping and become dark.

I am not sure what kind of plant it is. It's very small, just about 4 to 5 cm tall and its leaves is in purple and green colour. They are flatten but not thin.
    Please help me to save it, i don't want to see it die

2. florissantti

florissantti Member

Well, you may be giving it too much light when it does not need that much, and burning it.

Or, you could be overwatering it when it needs to dry out some between waterings. or you are not watering it enough.

I suppose, a picture and some info on what has been going on with the plant would be useful.

3. Rima

Rima Active Member

How well can you describe the leaves - shape, edges (whether smooth or scalloped), light, med. or dk. green? How long are the leaves and how wide? Do your best and we'll try to help. You say 'purple' - does that mean the whole leaf (top) is purple, or only striped, or is it velvety, or???

4. HelenTam

HelenTam Member

5. Rima

Rima Active Member

This is frustrating - the picture wouldn't open because it couldn't find or interpret the 'grfv' (or whatever it was) part of the URL. Can you post it differently?

6. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Try "post reply" and attaching the photo rather than using a link.

7. HelenTam

HelenTam Member

8. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

it looks like a type of succulant .. mayb a jade plant .. but umm what is that that it is in ??.. it looks like it isnt getting any air .. i would remove it from that ..

Marn

9. Rima

Rima Active Member

I really don't think it's a succulent, but a little rubber plant - Ficus elastica, and it really likes to get dry between waterings and prefers to be out of direct sunlight. If you try those two things, give it a few wks, you should (fingers crossed here) see new growth. If old leaves dry up and/or fall off, just get rid of them and don't worry. If all leaves fall off don't water at all til there are new ones.

10. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

I think the plant should not have it's soil/root exposed to sunlight, plant in a proper pot.... sun/light source is possibly affecting its root system...and remove the cloche.

11. HelenTam

HelenTam Member

Thanks for your suggestion, i am now trying~
    and i hv put it into another pot with new soil.
    But i got one question, u said "out of direct sunlight", do u mean i should keep the plant in a completely dark environment? or avoid sunlight and put it under the lamp?

12. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

out of direct sunlight means that the plant needs indirect light. Just dont place it right in a bright window is it will scorch the plant. Skylights are great, or a little away from the window so the rays of the sun bounce off walls or floors to hit it. A shear curtain will do the trick too. Most house plants like bright light, but will burn if they get too much direct sun.

13. HelenTam

HelenTam Member

ic~ thanks :)