Identification: Shaggy mane ?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by David Tang, Apr 19, 2019.

1. David Tang

David Tang Active Member

These were found on both sides of the Iona trail
    to the northern jetty. Quite conspicuous because
    of the bright colour and the big size. Average 5cm
    tall, biggest about 10cm. Could these be Coprinus
    comatus - Shaggy Mane Myshroom ?

Attached Files:

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Yes, definitely Shaggy Manes, which have also been appearing recently in newly landscaped areas of the PNE.

Frog likes this.
  3. David Tang

David Tang Active Member

Thanks a lot.

4. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Is it unusual for Shaggy Manes to be showing up at this time of year? I usually see them in the fall but it has been so wet lately, maybe they're responding to the cool, wet weather?

5. David Tang

David Tang Active Member

Yes, that has came to my mind too.
    May be the rain and, the cold weather also.
    It was pretty cold and windy as well as foggy
    on Good Friday morning.

6. vitog

They usually come up in the spring, just before the morel season starts. I'm not sure if the spring locations also fruit in the fall.

7. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Interesting. I see that shaggy mane mushrooms can appear in early spring and late fall. I've only ever seen them in this area in the fall - not that that means they aren't found early in other places.

Shaggy Mane (Coprinus comatus) in British Columbia

8. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I was going to start a new thread for these shaggy manes, but have decided to piggy back on this one, since I like the link in the preceding post and the discussion about timing, and I like David's photos. And there are already so many threads on these, but I was excited and really wanted to post these. These are in such an urban location, I was very surprised to see them, right in a little patch of grass at the north end of the Burrard Bridge. I posted a patch a year ago around the same time as this, but I was so specific about the location in that title that it doesn't really apply. That post does have a link to a Botany Photo of the Day, with even more links: Identification: - Fairly large fungi under a cherry tree.
    Coprinus-comatus_N-end-BuarrardBridge-SWcor_Cutler_20191105_134742.jpg Coprinus-comatus_N-end-BuarrardBridge-SWcor_Cutler_20191105_134636.jpg Coprinus-comatus_N-end-BuarrardBridge-SWcor_Cutler_20191105_134646.jpg Coprinus-comatus_N-end-BuarrardBridge-SWcor_Cutler_20191105_134659.jpg

Frog likes this.
  9. vitog

Shaggy Manes can pop up any place that has buried organic matter. The largest fruitings that I've seen were at abandoned logging camps in former forest, where large level areas were created by covering a cleared forested area with mostly subsoil fill, including plenty of woody debris.