CAN I PLANT COSMO SEEDS INTO THE GROUND OUTSIDE?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Emmaji, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Emmaji

Emmaji Active Member

I don't wish to start the plants indoors and I read that I can plant the Cosmo seeds outside now. I was wondering if they would grow if I did it this way.

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I think it's too early. They are easy to seed directly and often those plants to better than transplanted ones, but they like warm weather and will stall out if planted while it is still cold.

I have only planted poppies, sweetpeas, baby-blue-eyes and calendula outside so far this year.

3. Emmaji

Emmaji Active Member

Thanks for your reply. I will wait until it's a bit warmer.......although i did read that it was OK to plant them after there is no frost at night......

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I think if you have a good warm protected spot, you might have luck. I generally refer to the West Coast Seed Co. charts Regional Planting Charts and they say it's OK to plant now, but the temps are still quite cool over night. Conditions are quite variable in the region. Some gardens are much warmer than others. One thing I do is to just try planting small amounts of seed every week or two to see if I can get things going. Seed is relatively cheap, so no big loss if it does not come up.

5. Emmaji

Emmaji Active Member

Thanks for letting me know about that chart....I hadn't known about it and will refer to it now. I am going to try your idea of planting small amounts of seed every now and then to see what happens........