Honey berry/Haskap for Vancouver /Surrey

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Ricky, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Ricky

Ricky New Member

I brought one pot of Honey berry /Haskap from Costco last year for $10 and 2 plant (Male/Female) in 1
    I put it outdoor.
    it was flowering at February while frozen outside without berry.
    It is end of March now and it keeps on Flowering again without bee.
    I am wondering that anyone try it before and will it bear berry in our climste?

2. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

I've had 4 plants - 2 blue moon and 2 blue velvet - for about 10 years and they produce nice crops every year; they will do fine here. I believe the weather is confusing plants this year but things should return to normal once the weather settles down

3. Ricky

Ricky New Member

Thanks for your response
    How is your honey berry taste like? I heard that they taste like sweet /Tart.
    I do not have fullsun area ? I mean it has sun from 11AM till evening, Any idea that it will grow there?
    I think I got the newer varieties, Aurora /Borealies , beast, beauty, Etc? and someone post that they are sweeter without too much tart.

4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I have a couple of Haskaps that were planted last year, and they are blooming now. I even got some fruit last year from a few flowers that I hand pollinated. My Mason Bees are out pollinating Japanese plums and should be effective for the Haskaps.

5. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

I think it depends on the variety but mine are that sweet/tart taste but not too tart.
    They should do okay if they get sun for that long; mine are in the backyard facing west so they don't get full sun until late morning either. And to give you an idea as to how hardy the bushes are, my mother has them - she's zone 3 north of 100 Mile House (Vancouver / Surrey are zone 7/8)

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  6. Ricky

Ricky New Member

Thanks for all reply, I saw a big bubble bee on them recently, I will wait and try their berries and report it back.

7. Ricky

Ricky New Member

I would like to feedback on (Haskap) honey berry, I got my honey berry fro U of SasK, it was 4 inches plants last year fall, They are newer varieties and better, I got few berry ripened at early June, Its size as large blue berry, It has sharp sour, then slightly sweeter taste as blue berry.