Venus flytraps in Canada?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Mistertree, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Mistertree

Mistertree New Member

Ive spent countless hours trying to track down a venus flytrap B-52 or DCXL.
    Ive come to the conclusion that Canada is sadly lacking.
    Sorry but im cranky lol ive been obsessed with plants my whole life... But every plant I want you can find anywhere in the USA. Canada on the other hand seems to have zip...

I suspect there are plants out there, most likely in private collections (thats how I tend to find them)

So im wondering... Does anyone here happen to know a reliable source for B-52 or DCXL traps in Canada or perhaps have some you may be willing to part with?

My other thought is "why" is there nothing available in Canada? I know import costs and regs are an issue but... If theres a market, why doesnt someone import? Seems like it would be worth the trouble.

Thanks.

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Mistertree likes this.
  3. Mistertree

Mistertree New Member

Thank you very much!

4. Junglekeeper

You may also want to monitor Pop's Predatory Plants as a potential source. The most recent comment on Facebook says the business has been taken over but I'm not sure that's the case as they were still selling plants out here in Vancouver around the time it was posted. I believe they're actually based in Nova Scotia and not British Columbia.

Mistertree likes this.
  5. Jackie Quan

Jackie Quan New Member

There is a place on Salt Spring Island: Carnivorous Plant Store but no one has the DC-XL to my knowledge. . I have a B-52 that I got from Kheen's Carnivores almost 9 years ago ( subsequently sold to Urban Bog but they went bust and sold all stock to Pops Predatory Plants and Hawaiian Botanical).

If you find a DC-XL because I want one too..., let me know

Mistertree likes this.
  6. Jackie Quan

Jackie Quan New Member

..and if you become obsessed with plants, you gotta look into marine corals! I mean you have to go see it in person as they are fluorescent under atnics! : )

Mistertree likes this.
  7. Mistertree

Mistertree New Member

I will keep an eye out!

Im starting to wonder if theres enough interest to import and clone some DCXL or tissue propegate from seeds?
    Doesnt seem like a huge task.

For now im going to try and get the B-52 from HB.

8. Jackie Quan

Jackie Quan New Member

You can order tissue culture form flytrapcare.com (internatoional order link ) albeit it wil s expensive at around +$70usd plus shipping. They have the best selections of cultivars in North Americ in my opinion.

Mistertree likes this.
  9. Mistertree

Mistertree New Member

I checked with them a while back about tissue cultures. From what they told me it sounds like they're getting out of the tissue culture business as of this year.

Otherwise that would have been perfect!

Thanks.

10. Jackie Quan

Jackie Quan New Member

There are a couple of forums too for Canada being www.carnivorousplantsociety.ca. ... even there, no one has a DCXl for sale. ( forum was formerly Home | Carnivorous Plant Society of Canada and they moved to the new name ). The old forum had some people with the DCXL but they don't seem to active on the board. I am a stones throw from the border and contemplating of just picking one up via mail order to a dropbox. : (

11. Alyrx_c

Alyrx_c Member

Well, I don't have proper sources to give you but some warehouse dedicates to florist have access to these type of plants. Also, the culture of these plants is difficult in some part of Canada. I'm from Montreal and it's quite easy to find one but the cultural conditions aren't good. They need a lot of humidity and hot environment = greenhouse or an aquarium/terrarium. They'll eat bugs but in winter (we don't have!) so we have to give them some bit of raw meats. Most of these plants are easily found in Rona (hardware store) or florist shop here. And they market them more for kids. We also have Nepenthes.

12. Junglekeeper

Pop's Predatory Plants is scheduled to appear in this summer's Farmers Market in the West End in Vancouver. There is little detail other than this. Their previous website has expired and is not longer active so there's no information on what they'll be selling. Hopefully that will be remedied before the opening date of May 25.

13. Junglekeeper

I was searching for live sphagnum and the following link came up with a reference to DCXL. It may be worth following up on. According to the About Me page, plants are sold from his personal collection as they become available.

14. Jackie Quan

Jackie Quan New Member

Thanks for link. Do note, if the tissue culture grown is from a DC-XL seed, you will not necessarily get another DCXL. The one and only way to get a direct clone is from a leaf or steam or a direct new extension from the origin bulb area.