Is my Venus Flytrap dead or dormant?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Emma Morgan, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Emma Morgan

Emma Morgan New Member

I’m new to raising Venus Flytraps, this is my first one actually. It has recently turned entirely black only a few months after I bought it. The heads and leaves are droopy and no longer stand up. It’s potted in moss and I’ve been using purified water to water it. It’s Winter where I am, but I’m not sure if it’s dead. Can anybody help me?

Hope these help

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2019
  2. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

It's dead. That black stems and leaves description tells the complete story. It's fungal and nearly always fatal. People who raise these successfully often do it in terraria with controlled light and humidity, proper soil conditions, and regular treatment to avoid fungal infection. Back in the day, my carnivorous plant enthusiast friend used Benomyl as an antifungal. No idea of the regulations or the toxicity of that product though, and it's been several decades.

3. Emma Morgan

Emma Morgan New Member

Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind for the next one

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

What does a plant look like when it's entering dormancy since it too would die back?

5. Jackie Quan

Jackie Quan New Member

Itl ooks kinda dead from photos ; rather than toss it,you can carefully dig out to see if root bulb is still white or not. Hoever, easies is Just keep it moist and hope to see if anything sprouts in the Spring.

6. Emma Morgan

Emma Morgan New Member

Thank you, I’ll continue to care for it until spring