Appreciation: Help with Orchid

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by Dingy, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Dingy

Dingy New Member

Good day, what a wonderful site!
    I have had my two orchids for about 5 or 6 or perhaps even 7 years now and know little to nothing about them. I’ve attempted some research a few times but found it all a bit overwhelming and they appeared to be doing well enough, bloom once or on occasion even twice a year so I figured I would just leave them be. The taller one however has now grown so many “tendrils” it’s rather piqued my curiousity as to what I should be doing with it and a friend suggested your site.
    I have never transplanted them, simply removed them from the pot they came in and placed the root ball with the mossy stuff minus the dirt into the glass vases. On occasion I mist them, soak them periodically then dump the water out and just leave them be. Oh and I have a couple of times trimmed the root ball down, removed what appeared to me to be dead or rotten. About a year ago I did start to give them some fertilizer and some fresh moss I collected in the yard but I don’t think it’s the right kind as it seems to retain the water more and gets almost moldy so I do it a bit more often with less water.
    I am attaching a photo (hopefully) and would be very appreciative if you were able to provide me with any assistance.

Attached Files:

2. Dingy

Dingy New Member

This was the smaller one last summer when it was in bloom again. It doesn’t seem to grow as many “tendrils” (not sure what they’re called) but then they mainly 2CD90C89-8224-42B1-9503-687E5313C206.png grow into the vase.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2019
  3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Such a green thumb you have!

If you're getting consistent flowers and aerial roots (the "tendrils") that are firm and robust, you're pretty much doing things perfectly. Make sure the fertilizer is weak, and yes, if the moss is retaining too much water, you don't want it to start to rot your plant.

4. Dingy

Dingy New Member

Thanks Daniel. I’m wondering do I just leave the aerial roots, break them off or is there a way to make new plants from them? The smaller plant has had some of them grow into the pot but no new plants have ever developed so I’ve assumed even were they to reach on the taller plant nothing would come of them either.

5. Dingy

Dingy New Member

And thank you for the compliment though it’s not really the case. Regular house plants don’t do so well in my care and I’ve given up on them. The temperature in my house fluctuates too much and I tend to be away for extended periods.

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

They are just roots, I don't think they are useful for propagating the plant. If you break them off, you open up a wound that could permit disease, so I would just leave them.

Sounds like benign neglect!

7. Dingy

Dingy New Member

So now I have my answers . Thank you kindly for sharing your time and knowledge Daniel, it’s greatly appreciated.