Is this Atriplex, and is it A. confertifolia?

Discussion in 'Talk about UBC Botanical Garden' started by wcutler, Feb 15, 2019.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

This question was asked in 2013 but it wasn't answered, and it got lost in that thread, and now I'm posting a lot of photos into plant families on flickr and would like to have a name. There was a tag in the ground near the plant, saying Atriplex confertifolia. It is the only Atriplex species on my plant list, though now the Garden Explorer shows a very different species and not this one at all.

The only Atriplex that I'm seeing on the internet with thin leaves like this is A. canescens. Southwest Colorado Wildflowers, Atriplex

So the questions are: does this label belong to this plant (now I think it does, was not convinced at the time), and is it Atriplex confertifolia?

And what family is Atriplex in now (whether or not this is one): Amaranthaceae or Chenopodiaceae?

Thanks.

2. wcutler

Bumping. Is this plant not even there any more? Where is 1AIH anyway? Did the plant disappear when the plot disappeared and that's why no-one can answer this?

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

We had an internal discussion after this posting, and came to the conclusion it was most likely A. canescens.

It is listed as not found as of 2017.

4. wcutler

Thank you. Amaranthaceae or Chenopodiaceae?

@Nadia White Rock, you originally posted this plant.

5. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years