Identification: Yellow blobs

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by David Wong, Nov 30, 2018.

1. David Wong

David Wong Active Member

Found in Richmond. We have seen Tremella mesenterica (yellow) and Ascocoryne sarcoides (purple) fungi. These yellow-orange blobs look different. I assume they are fungi too. What are they?

Attached Files:

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

If this was conifer wood I would be happier with Dacrymyces stillatus as a likely suspect, but this looks like hardwood, so Dacrymyces is less likely. Also this could be something larger (e.g. Tremella mesenterica or similar speies) at an early stage of fruiting. Not sure.

3. David Wong

David Wong Active Member

How fast do jelly fungi grow. If I go back in a couple of months, will I see a noticeable size difference, along with a different morphology?

4. Frog

You know David, that is an excellent question.... and I think you have just given yourself a marvellous homework assignment! I would love to know, and hope you will post your results here (and photos!) as I think others will be interested as well!

5. David Wong

David Wong Active Member

I will do that. Thanks.

6. David Wong

David Wong Active Member

Hi Frog,
    I went back several times, and was unable to relocate the jelly fungi. The staff at the park had been felling unhealthy trees, and logs scattered everywhere, making it impossible to relocate where I found those fungi Sorry.
    David

7. Frog

Yeah I have had similar disappointments, e.g. when an interesting tree disappears. Change is eternal :-)