Clusia Species?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Pitter, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Pitter

Pitter Active Member 10 Years

We encountered this as a small tree in Guaviare department , Colombia. Our guide explained that the globes contain a sticky glue that when it emerges traps insects. The insects are then consumed (like other carnivorous plants) leaving only the husk. I can't find any reference to that when searching Clusia. Has anyone heard of this i.e. a carnivores tree be it Clusia or something else?

Attached Files:

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hmmn... it does not quite look the same but see this post Weeping tree

3. Pitter

Thank you for that. I'm quite mystified that I can't find anything related to the guide's explanation. He was proven to be very knowledgeable so I must be barking around the wrong species.

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Yes, it looks like Clusia, but I can't distinguish species of those trees. Yes on the sticky glue - the black resin-like material that surrounds the ripe red seeds "was once used to caulk the seams of boats, hence its common name, 'Pitch-Apple'." That's for Clusia rosea, from ENH331/ST172: Clusia rosea: Pitch Apple. I didn't find any descriptions of dead insects, but it doesn't seem too far-fetched to think that some insects must get caught in that stuff - whether they just dry out or get consumed doesn't seem to have interested anyone posting anything about it.

I did find a very extensive key for Clusia in Venezuelan Guayana - makes me very unwilling to ever guess a Clusia species name.
    MBG: Research: Projects: South America: Venezuelan Guayana

5. Pitter

Thank you Wendy. Yikes that is certainly exhaustive info on the link you provided.