Please help palm plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Nikiesha, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Nikiesha

Nikiesha New Member

Hello!

I recently purchased this palm plant marked as “indoor foliage” from my local Aldi. The roots were growing out over 8 inches from the bottom so I thought it needed a bigger pot. Unfortunately I under estimated the size and my new pot, while wider, is too short. Should I try to put the plant back in it’s original container or purchase a bigger new pot? Thanks in advance! This is my first plant like this and I have no idea what I’m doing.

Attached Files:

2. mrsp2006

mrsp2006 New Member

If the roots were really crowded in the old pot, then you should stick the plant in the old pot while you go out and get another one. Make sure that you measure how tall the old pot is and buy one that is not only wider by 1 to 2 inches, but also taller than the previous one. If you still cannot fit the plant into it, try to gently tease off as much soil off of the roots till you can see the clearly. Usually some will need to be pruned if brown or dry, but if not, then take a sharp clean knife and cut off a couple inches off the bottom of the root ball. That should help the plant recover from the overcrowding in the old pot and force it to put its growth into roots to repair them. Once you see new healthy growth, it's all good. Good luck
    P.S. Do not cut off more than 1/3 of the roots at a time, it will be too much of a shock to the plant.

3. Larry Mroz

Larry Mroz Member

I would buy a new bigger pot - not a lot bigger, but it's not good having it stick out over the top like that. Looks like a healthy palm!

4. Nikiesha

Nikiesha New Member

I did place it in a slightly larger pot. It seems to be doing alright. Although we had some terribly cold weather here last week. I found that my poor plant was right in the way of a cold draft. It turned yellow so I turned up my heat and blocked the cold air from hitting it. Thankfully it has warmed up and it peeled up again. :)