Montmorency tart cherries

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by maryanne, Mar 15, 2006.

1. maryanne

maryanne Member

Re: Cherry Tree Planting

Hello, I live in Nova Scotia, Canada,
    any one know where I can get Montmorency tart cherries
    in N.S. ? They are suppose to be good for arthritis .

Thanks; Maryanne

2. maryanne

maryanne Member

Does any one know the difference between grocery store cherries & Montmorency tart cherries?

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Check hardiness rating first. You will also have to buy the fruit in cans or jars anyway to get a yearround supply, unless you plant so many trees that you can pick and preserve enough to last you.

4. dfolkins

dfolkins Member

I live in Lower Debert, Colchester County, Nova Scotia, and have had a Montmorencey cherry tree for a number of years. It is a wonderful variety of sour (pie, tart)cherry, and is self-pollinating, so you don't really need another variety. Unfortunately, last summer our tree suffered several broken branches from raccoons climbing in it at night to eat the cherries. Crows are also a problem, though they don't break the branches! Netting many be the answer, at least unitl your tree gets too big.

It is generally easy to find in any nursery that carries fruit trees, and would be hardy enough in most areas of Nova Scotia. Cherries do strongly prefer well-drained soil, i.e. sand, gravel, etc, so stay away from areas where you see soggy soil in spring or places where aspen(poplar) trees are, and look for areas where you see choke cherries growing for a good place to plant. Corn Hill Nursery near Petitcodiac, N.B. carries them, as do nurseries in the Annapolis valley, the Masstown market, etc.

Don Folkins