rebirth of ponytail palm

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by myle, Sep 14, 2009.

1. myle

myle Member

About a year ago my ponytail palm was covered in mealy bugs. Although I tried everything suggested, the mealy bugs won out. Eventually the plant (12ft tall) looked sad and pathetic so I decided to toss it. At the last moment I changed my mind and cut the stalk instead. Here are the results. The one sprout that is most interesting is the one coming directly out of the bowl at the bottom of the trunk. Incredible and so far no signs of mealy bugs! Should I do anything about the sprout on the lower trunk? It is certainly going to look odd but will it take energy from the higher growths? Appreciate your thoughts.

Attached Files:

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

the plant made a nice come-back!!!!! the growth at the bulb will probably be an off-set that you can, eventually, cut off and put in it's own pot.

3. Foosdiva

Foosdiva New Member

I know how old this post is, but I wanted to see if the OP is still around. I’ve been trying to find advice for bugs for a couple of months. I’ve tried everything as well. I’m about to cut it bc I pulled all of the leaves. I had to...ugh.

My ponytail is at least 25 yrs old. Grr.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2019