Plant ID question Deciduous Shrub

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by SusieS, Jan 8, 2019.

1. SusieS

SusieS Active Member

Good afternoon! Photographs were take Monday January 7th in Vancouver, BC. The shrub/small deciduous tree is approximately 5 - 6 feet high. Is it Cotinus coggygria?

Attached Files:

2. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    hello - I can't make the photos bigger so it's hard to see the detail - can you post some close up of the dried flower

it appears to be a very old shrub (moss on main trunk etc)

Have you seen this alive? In other words - have you seen it in leaf and/or flower?

looking fwd to the resolve of your question

EDIT - i'm editing because i meant to say yes it looks like an old smoke tree as people call it - I hesitate to say that it looks old and pruned (big quote marks) many times - if you are reno-ing a garden - this might be a candidate for garden heaven so to speak. It's hard to get it back to a form you'd like maybe? it looks great when upright - and healthy.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    SusieS likes this.
  3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Looks very much like Cotinus, yes.

SusieS likes this.
  4. SusieS

SusieS Active Member

Thank you for your response! The shrub is not in my yard but close to home as I noticed it while out walking on sunny Monday. I have not seen it in leaf, but will keep an eye on it as the weather warms up. Another closer up photo has been attached. Thanks again for your quick reply.
    Thank you Daniel. I will keep an eye on it as the leaves appear and confirm.:) Cheers

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2019