Acer palmatum shiraname

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Oles, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Oles

Oles New Member

good afternoon I write to you from Gijón ASTURIAS Spain and I was interested in information about the Acer palmatum shiraname I would like to know if it is worth planting it in the garden in full sun since in the garden I have nothing of shade. My doubt is in planting acer palmatum shiraname or HOGYOKU I have not seen any of them and in Spain they do not find what I would have to ask for online they would do me a great favor for the information. Thank you

2. Oles

Oles New Member

20181117_112414.jpg Acer palmatum harusame con 6 meses a pleno sol

3. Oles

Oles New Member

20180501_144138.jpg Acer palmatum heartbeet detrás de él Acer palmatum con casi tres años plantados a pleno sol

4. Oles

Oles New Member

[ADJUNTAR] 162494 [/ ADJUNTAR] Acer palmatum kiachijo con dos años a pleno sol

Attached Files:

5. Oles

Oles New Member

De todos los Acer palmatum que tengo, el único que tiene un peor momento en verano es el Dremm de Orange.
    20180501_144154-800x600-1024x768.jpg

6. Oles

Oles New Member

Good morning, I'll write you back in case some member has information about the Acer palmatum shiraname. I would like to plant it in full sun since I do not have any shade in the garden and on the way to know if it is worth having this variety thanks
    In ASTURIAS Spain the climate is Atlantic which means winters and summers are very mild

7. ChrisProbert

ChrisProbert Active Member

Hi - good to see you! I don't have any direct experience, but I doubt if any Acer palmatum would do well in full sun - is there no shade, even from a building? Acers do well in a big pot, and can often be tucked away in a shady corner. I see yours isn't the hottest part of Spain, but near the sea the winds can be a problem. One of my previous gardens was on the sea coast, and keeping my few (then!) Acers alive involved keeping them in large containers close to the house for protection.

I am sorry not to be more positive, but few things are more distressing than watching a loved plant being scorched in sun, then shredded by the wind in winter!

8. ChrisProbert

ChrisProbert Active Member

A second thought - I see you have a Botanical Garden near you. Do they grow any Acer palmatum? Maybe they could give you local advice based on their experience.

9. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I have approved four of @Oles postings in Spanish written earlier to demonstrate that he can grow some Acer palmatum in full sun. I was reluctant to do that, but they do seem pertinent to @ChrisProbert reply. There is also an earlier comment made by Oles that I did not realize was in a new thread, now moved here. These are all above the @ChrisProbert replies made before he was able to see them.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  10. Oles

Oles New Member

Good morning to all and a pleasure to be in this forum. I have nothing of shade in the garden the sea or the coast I have it to about 5 km I am located in a somewhat high locality. As I said all the Acer palmatum are in full sun and removing the orange dremm the others without problems the only thing that I have to be careful is in having humid the earth around. I am looking for information about the Acer palmatum shiraname if any forerunner has information about him he would be very grateful

If I have a botanical garden where there is Acer but I can not tell. These have them in the shade.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2019