Identification: Please help identify this tree...

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Gale L., Dec 8, 2018.

1. Gale L.

Gale L. New Member

Hallo! This tree is on the penthouse patio above my suite. I think I am allergic to its pollen and need to identify it. It's about 5 feet high. This fall, I have had an invasion of western conifer seed bugs on their way up to this small tree. I would greatly appreciate any ID ideas. Care to help? Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Needs a closer-up pic to be sure, but my best guess is Sugi (Cryptomeria japonica) - which certainly does have a well-established record for causing pollen allergy. It usually sheds pollen in early spring (Feb-Mar), does that fit with your allergy problem time?

Gale L. likes this.
  3. Gale L.

Gale L. New Member

Hi Michael. Thank you for replying. I will take a close-up photo when the weather is better. I have allergies right now, but maybe they are due to mold.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

There will be a fair amount of fungal spores in the air right now (on the clearer days).

Gale L. likes this.
  5. Gale L.

Gale L. New Member

Thank you, Daniel, for that tidbit of information. I was wondering why I have had such horrible allergies lately.