Identification: Confirm or correct ID please

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by David Wong, Dec 6, 2018.

1. David Wong

David Wong Active Member

I try to work out the ID of these mushrooms. Please confirm or correct.

A - Ampulloclitocybe clavipes

B - Aureoboletus mirabilis

C - Boletes sp. It is possible to narrow down to the species? This looks like the kind sold in grocery stores.

Attached Files:

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Good morning David - lovely finds!

A - I agree that this does look generally clitocyboid, but without other details, especially cap underside, we cannot know.
    B - Similarly, we need to see the underside of the cap for this. It appears to be either Cortinarius or Hygrocybe. Aureoboletus mirabilis is eliminated due to size & size ratios, and colours/textures of cap and stem.
    C - This is Lycoperdon, likely L. perlatum noting the remnant spines on the edges and the scars of spines dropped off. In this case, the lack of hymenium (gills, teeth, pores, sponge etc) on a cap undersurface takes us to puffballs and other fungi whose reproductive strategy around spore dispersal is different. This mushroom is essentially composed of spores, which release when they mature, the outer surface cracks and the spores puff out when e.g. rain hits or they are stepped upon.

As you know, learning to identify mushrooms is not a quick study, it does require persistence, which I am glad you have :-)

David Wong likes this.
  3. David Wong

David Wong Active Member

Good morning Frog,
    Thank you for spending time and providing me the analytical approach to ID of these mushrooms.
    I am a slow learner regarding mushrooms, the ID of which seem to be much more difficult than anything I have encountered.
    Perhaps I should start by reading all the genus characteristics before attempting species differentiation.
    I have accumulated so many mushroom photos; it bothers me not knowing what they are.
    I try to get their ID to achieve a sense of organization like I do with birds, and not for finding the edible ones.
    I am amazed and perplexed that species in the same genus can look so different.
    David

4. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Actually I think you are a quick study and a keen observer.
    It will help your learning to go out on walks with mushroom experts, eg with the Vancouver Mycological Society. They also run classes for members in identification basics. Getting a grounding in some of the nature observation principles, in person, in the field, specimen in hand, is extremely helpful for getting a grip on fungi identification.
    I agree that it is not easy, there are so many mushrooms and the differences are far more subtle than in many other lifeforms. But it is fun :-)

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  5. David Wong

David Wong Active Member

Thank you for your encouragement and support.