Junipers to give away

Discussion in 'Japanese Gardens' started by Emmaji, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Emmaji

Emmaji Active Member

I have 2 juniper trees about 3 feet tall to give away. They are in the garden now so will have to be dug up.
    West point grey/ Dunbar area.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

While it's good of you to offer to give away plants, I don't think 3-foot trees growing in the ground can technically be called 'bonsai'.

3. Emmaji

Emmaji Active Member

Oh....I was told that is what they are.....perhaps i should just say Juniper......?

4. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I hadn't realized that sometimes junipers are sold as 'Juniper bonsai' which is a meaningless name as far as I'm concerned. Marketing. It may be accurate to say that some juniper species are amenable to bonsai training but they don't become true bonsai without considerable human intervention. Apparently, some junipers sold as Juniper bonsai trees have already been wired in such a way as to train their branches. I have never tried to bonsai anything . . . it seems cruel to me in the same way as binding Japanese girls' feet was in bygone days . . . but I've attended many lectures and read many articles - enough to realize that bona fide bonsai is a very hands-on endeavor. You can't short cut the years of effort it takes to produce a legitimate bonsai by buying a Juniper bonsai at the local big box store.

There are countless sites on the web about bonsai. This overview from Wikipedia is a good introduction: Bonsai - Wikipedia

5. Emmaji

Emmaji Active Member

Thanks for the info.....I will just call my trees Junipers now. I am new to gardening so I was unaware of my mistake. I agree it seems somewhat cruel.....

6. Michigander

Michigander Active Member

Bonsai is process by which trees, or woody plants, are trained. The Japanese word means, "tree in a dish". Normally, a tree in the ground which is extensively trimmed is called topiary. There can be some cross-over and a design that mimics a standard bonsai design, but is is the ground might be called bonsai by anyone who isn't too uptight.

7. Emmaji

Emmaji Active Member

well I am not too uptight.....thanks for the post......I still have my trees whatever I call them...LOL!

8. Michigander

Michigander Active Member

Go here and post a photo and request. Somebody will remove those trees for you and leave you with a nice hole.

9. Emmaji

Emmaji Active Member

Ok thanks for the suggestion.....it's pouring rain now but i will post a photo when i am able to do so.......