Temperatures

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Guy Wilkinson, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Guy Wilkinson

Guy Wilkinson New Member

So winter temperatures for roots I have been keeping my pots temp between 23 and 25 and the sun may bring them up to 30+. For the winter limes and lemons should be kept warmer than the oranges and marinades but does any citrus need cool time a dormant period of so many hrs.??

2. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

No. But some citrus have better fruit in slightly cooler conditions. Mandarins, navel oranges, blood oranges can all fruit in tropical and subtropical areas, but for optimum commercial growth and fruit production they need a little cooler climate. There is no true dormancy for any citrus fruit tree as far as I know. Sounds like you have reasonable conditions for the winter slow down.

3. Will B

Will B Active Member

I don't watch pot temperature specifically, just air temperature. I grow my citrus in a cool greenhouse, keeping the air temperature just above freezing during winter. I don't know of any citrus that needs a specific dormant period. I have 53 varieties of citrus and they are all thriving under these cool greenhouse conditions on Vancouver Island.

4. Guy Wilkinson

Guy Wilkinson New Member

Thanks for the replies. Well they are all growing but one the Tango it lost all it's leaves branches turned black that I have been cutting off the moisture of the soil is in the green so I have not watered it for over a month. It is sitting on 25 degree heat this pot fluctuates from 22-28. One thing I noticed was one of the lemon varieties when moved to a 21 degree bed started to flower. Here in Keremeos the conditions are cold winters but sunny and very hot summers so not leaving anything in the greenhouses overwinter even to cold for the olives and the pomegranates.

5. Will B

Will B Active Member

If providing bottom heat I would be concerned about drying the roots too much, especially if you have not watered the Tango in a month. I have a Tango in my cool temperature greenhouse and it is thriving. Not sure what you mean by 'soil is in the green', do you mean it has algae?

6. Will B

Will B Active Member

By the way, if the Tango has lost all its leaves and branches turned black it might have a disease of some kind. You may want to isolate it and cut off any dead branches to ensure any disease does not spread.

7. Guy Wilkinson

Guy Wilkinson New Member

Soil in the green is the moisture meter reading is in the green almost to blue which is wet roots in some spots around the pot 8-10" deep and yes I did cut all the black off to the green wood. I will take it off the heat and see. If it dies could I get some wood I started some root stock.

8. Will B

Will B Active Member

You mean budwood for grafting yourself? If so I don't normally do that, but you might try the CCPP from UCR: CCPP - Budwood ... I am thinking of trying them myself. They seem to have a lot of very interesting varieties.

9. Guy Wilkinson

Guy Wilkinson New Member

Hi Will Yes thank you I remember having a list in a book of place that send clean wood and rootstock. I would like to see your collection are they in pot's or ground. I am using 25 gallon pot's for a few trees they seem to grow roots faster the bigger they are.

10. Will B

Will B Active Member

My collection is currently almost all in pots, although I intend to put the mother plants in the ground next year. One Flying Dragon trifoliate orange is in the ground outside to see how it does. You can see a list of all of them and my notes in my web site ( Home | Aprici ) with the citrus listing and notes located here: Citrus | Aprici ... I have started making some for selling, as listed here: Citrus | Aprici

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2018