Cupressus nootkatensis 'Van Den Akker'

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers) Photo Gallery' started by conifers, Sep 9, 2007.

1. conifers

conifers Active Member

The Harper Conifer Collection at Hidden Lake Gardens in Tipton, MI, August 2005.
    ‘Green Industry Images’ Copyrighted Photograph; Permission Granted (winter photo).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Re: Chamaecyparis nootkatensis 'Van Den Akker'

Species now Cupressus nootkatensis, syn. Callitropsis nootkatensis, Xanthocyparis nootkatensis.

3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Well, this is still a sticky one. Yes the name is changing, but we won't relabel our plants (from Chamaecyparis) here at UBCBG until the taxonomy has been fully sorted out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nootka_Cypress

4. Michael F

Good point, though Chamaecyparis is the one thing it definitely isn't!

Farjon is still holding out for Xanthocyparis, but I can't see that has any chance of being conserved over the earlier Callitropsis given Little's transfer of all of the American Cupressus to Callitropsis rather than to Xanthocyparis.

There is also a very good body of evidence (e.g. Xiang, Q.-P., & Li, J.-H. (2005). Derivation of Xanthocyparis and Juniperus from within Cupressus: Evidence from Sequences of nrDNA Internal Transcribed Spacer Region. Harvard Papers in Botany 9 (2): 375-382; Jagel, A., & Stuetzel, T. (2001). Zur Abgrenzung von Chamaecyparis Spach und Cupressus L. (Cupressaceae) und die systematische Stellung von Cupressus nootkatensis D.Don [=Chamaecyparis nootkatensis (D.Don) Spach]. Feddes Repertorium 112 (1-4): 179-229) for treating Nootka Cypress in Cupressus.

Whether Callitropsis is separated from Cupressus depends on whether Cupressus s.l. (including Callitropsis) is paraphyletic with respect to Juniperus or not; that is still not clear yet. But Chamaecyparis is much more distant.

5. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

That is a beautiful plant, do we have the statistics on the mature height?

6. conifers

conifers Active Member

I've seen photos of the cultivar 'Green Arrow' towering to 60+ feet. Expect that with any upright selection.

Things have a pre-determined 'destination' as to when they stop growing (i.e. Redwood - Sequoia sempervirens has a stopping point due to the non-ability to push water/nutrients up to the canopy at about 387 feet according to something I recently read, and different heights for different Genus, species). As to the species nootkatensis, I do not know what this stopping point is. So, if you want them to stop growing, you'll need to control the growth (like anything that's a woody tree - i.e. Maple, Oak, "anything).

Dax

Last edited: Sep 15, 2007
  7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Trees don't stop growing until they die. Even the tallest coast redwoods have growing tops. One phenomenon that has been seen with these is for the top to die back and then regrow. The very tall Stratosphere Giant, for instance, recently had several rather vigorous replacement tops arranged around a central dead stub. Presumably, these will in turn encounter a moisture deficiency some future summer and die back as well.

8. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

At the risk of having this conversation in the wrong place, I have been wondering about growth in height relative to growth in width. As I've previously mentioned I live (STILL!) under a large Cham. lawsoniana cultivar owned by my neighbour. I think the thing has slowed down its upward growth considerably, and is growing at a spanking pace laterally instead. Any possibility that as upward growth slows, outward growth accelerates?

9. Michael F

It doesn't accelerate, but it may not slow down as much as upward growth does (since slowdown of upward growth is often related to wind exposure factors that are less significant lower down).

10. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

That makes sense. It is probably paranoia that makes me feel as if it is encroaching ever faster. To stay on topic with the thread, I can't wait till it's gone so I can plant a Van Den Akker, the sort of tree one CAN grow to maturity on a 25-foot property!

Say, Van Den Akkers and other cultivars... would be cuttings-grown, not grafted, right?

11. conifers

conifers Active Member

I'm sure someone has the magical formula for cuttings but they can be grafted to:
    Platycladus orientalis
    Juniperus scopulorum
    Thuja occidentalis

A deep tap-root is needed however so they don't fall over as they wobble.
    Someone told me about a guy grafting them to Microbiota decussata and had 18 year old specimens doing great. That was a few years ago.

Juniperus "Hetzii" which I believe is simple scopulorum but don't take it to the bank is what a grafter also once told me.

Dax

12. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

A friend has a 'Van Den Akker' about 40 years old. I'd say it is at least as tall as it is old. This friend thinks the cultivar name was probably coined by T. Buchholz, because Van Den Akker used to sell it as 'Pendula'. One of the family is still operating a nursery and apparently uses the 'Van Den Akker' name for stock of this tree he is producing - from cuttings.

It is a scarecrow habit type, more open and irregular than some other 'Pendula' but developing multiple branches with age. It is not the type that forms a Pfitzer juniper-like base with a seldom branching main stem coming out of the middle and growing tall.

13. Polar

Polar Active Member

On the note of this tree’s relationship to junipers, does this mean it may also be a host for the rust that affects saskatoons (Amelanchier)?

14. Michael F

Unlikely - it isn't that closely related!