Palm & Tropical Garden in Parksville Area

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by bandgit, Oct 7, 2018.

1. bandgit

bandgit Member

I am in the process of designing a house for the Parksville/Coombs area (not oceanfront, a bit inland) that would have as a major feature a palm and tropical garden. The house is designed in a type of L shape so that the Arctic Outflow winds would be deflected as much as possible from the garden area which is in the "crook" of the L. The garden would be not have any way to cover it in a greenhouse manner, however as it would stay open year round.

The garden area would also have pipes set in the ground which would circulate warm water whenever the temperature reached the freezing point.

I have done some research on the hardiest palms but would appreciate suggestions about what else could grow adequately in such a garden.

I would also appreciate receiving suggestions as to the best features to design into this garden, including alternative methods to shelter the garden as the house design is in its initial phases and could readily be modified.

Thank you all in advance for your comments and assistance.

2. PenderPalms

PenderPalms Member

Bamboo would work well for wind protection. Yucca, agave and opuntia would complement the palms too. Message me if your having troubles sourcing any of these plants.