Identification: Is this mold? Please identify!

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by HeatherN, Oct 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. HeatherN

HeatherN New Member

Hey everyone!
    I'm hoping someone here can help me as things have been a nightmare lately with our property manager who refuses to come look at anything. Our fireplace has been leaking BIG TIME every time it rains. There is so much water damage that the bricks are deteriorating and literally crumbling off. My main concern is this.. the bricks are white but covered in a yellow/orange substance where the water damage has occurred. The inside of the fireplace is also a pink color now. After being sick since moving in, I was recently diagnosed with a lung issue that you guessed it, can be from mold! So my question is this.. is this mold? Or what is it?

Attached Files:

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Ohhh, Heather...I feel your pain. Your pix could be of my basement.
    Looks like you have (at least) both mold and efflorescence.
    If you have notified the landlord and have documentation thereof...perhaps legal recourse might be in order.
    Mold in Rentals: Landlord Liability, Responsibility, and Prevention
    Seriously, your health is at stake here.

Check local ordinances---city could prosecute code violations and force the dude to repair.
    Codes and Ordinances :: VBgov.com - City of Virginia Beach
    Suggest you scope out a new home!

And: Welcome to the Forum!

4. HeatherN

HeatherN New Member

Thank you so much for your response! My husband and I have been trying to hire someone ourselves to come out and give us a difinitive answer but because we aren't the owner they've declined coming out for liability reasons. We've already found a new place to go, so now it's just a matter of confirming it is mold and being able to legally break the lease so we can go elsewhere. My health, along with my dog's, seems to be affected so I'm hopeful we can get out asap. I'll check out those links. Again, thanks so much!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2018
  5. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

You are more than welcome!
    Good Luck to all 3 of you with this situation, and I hope Hurricane Michael takes a rapid detour AWAY !
    Let us know what happens.