Questions about Amagi Shigure

Discussion in 'Maples' started by SLR2009, Oct 7, 2018.

1. SLR2009

SLR2009 Active Member 10 Years

Hi, I am interested in this Japanese Maple but I read some posts that this tree might be difficult to grow. Is this true? I would like to know if anyone is growing this tree successfully? Or would it be better to go with a different Japanese Maple like Kasagi Yama or something similar?

Thanks

2. Geezer840

Geezer840 Active Member 10 Years

I have both Amagi Shigure and Kasagi Yama planted in the ground since 2013. My Amagi Shigure developed pseudomonas shortly after being purcased. Two other maple lovers each purchased Amagi Shigure in 2012 from the same source. All three of the trees were about 6’ high and trunk caliper of about 3-4”. The other trees also had pseudomanas. One of the trees was treated with copper spray, another treated with a solution provided by one of the maple forum members and also treated with copper spray, the third was not treated with anything. All three trees have improved each year and now seem to be totally cured.
    My beliefs is that the trees were afflicted when purchased and the common soil was probably the source. The fact that all recovered seems to suggest that as the root system grew into the new soil the trees were able to cure themselves. That’s just my opinion. The rate of improvement did not differ with the three treatments.
    The Kasagi Yama has done well and is in the same general area as the Amagi.
    I hope this helps you make a choice.

Shin-Deshojo and SLR2009 like this.
  3. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I find that the Amagis prefer to be ground grown with good shade, at present have three in the ground and they are all doing well , the best time for these are during the spring and early summer months when you get to see the super colours but i also have a large one in a container which i tend to move this around the garden and play with the light and shade variations and again this seems to be doing nicely.

Have seen so many Amagis over the years at various nurseries which in the spring look great but go back a few months later and the vast majority which have not been sold are all suffering from serious leaf scorch/die back there just seems to be an inheirent fault somewhere with this cultivar it's just a case of perceverence with this one.

Kasagi yama will thrive better, again this one is for the spring time with it's beautiful reticulated leaf colouring then a lovely fall colour to finish again you can move this one around if in a pot and you will see some very interesting variations in colours and leaf patterns.

Attached Files:

Shin-Deshojo, opusoculi and SLR2009 like this.
  4. opusoculi

opusoculi Rising Contributor 10 Years

I have the same expérience. I agree .

SLR2009 likes this.
  5. ROEBUK

SLR2009 if you go to the thread index at the bottom of the Maple home page and click onto the 12th page and scroll down to the 5th thread you will see i started a thread about "Amagi shigure's either to be ground or container grown" ?
    Forgot about that (old age don't you no)

6. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

7. SLR2009

Thank you. Does the red color of Amagi Shigure last longer than Kasagi Yama?

8. opusoculi

Your question is perhaps too precise to obtain a final answer.

After a first failure, i currently cultivate my second subject. I can say that 'amagi shigure' must be watered more often than the majority of other maples of Japan and than a regular fertilization during spring helps so that it preserves its sheets until in autumn.
    The moisture of the ambient air has also much importance for the reticulated leaves .

Roebuck
    gets exceptional results. By looking at his photographs, the granulometry of the ground appears on the surface, it is a very important parameter. I envy the quality of the ground of his garden.

9. SLR2009

opusoculi, are you growing yours in a container?

10. opusoculi

Yes indeed.

11. SLR2009

Thanks for the helpful advice. I have one question, is your tree in full sun or shade?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  12. ROEBUK

I find the Kasagi yama has the better colour (red) in the fall than Amagi shigure does and will last that little bit longer, but come the spring the Amagi wins for colour every time.

13. opusoculi

Here,in the south-west of France, I cultivate it in the shade in June July August and September and safe from wind.
    In March and April it needs the sun to push, but as soon as the sun heats the leaves roast.
    Pictures:
    1° and 2°at the beginning of April
    3° Growth in August by 35°. The leaves do not develop completely.
    4° At the beginning of October this year, state of the leaves. 28° max this afternoon and 16° min to night.
    I will not obtain this year yet the autumnal colors… I hope to obtain next year best.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Shin-Deshojo, AlainK and SLR2009 like this.
  14. campbtl

campbtl Member Maple Society

I have to agree with roebuk. Here in southern louisiana, amagi shigure is a standout throughout spring, it's colors far better and longer lasting than kasagi yama. Maybe this depends on what part of the country you live in. But the reverse is true in fall. Both have very similar habits and growth rates here. I have them planted side by side.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  15. Ricardo González

Ricardo González New Member

Hi, a question for all the owners of an amagi shigure, have you tried doing air layering ?

16. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good evening Ricardo and welcome to the forum, I haven't air layered Amagi Shigure, but see no reason why it cannot be done like all other maples.
    Here is a photo of mine from September 2020 to give you an idea of this cultivars beauty.
    Amagi shigure 154.JPG

17. Ricardo González

Ricardo González New Member

Thanks for the response , I will give it a try this year.
    I love the colors of yours, this is the first year of mine I am waiting for it to wake up and start growing leafs.

18. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Do post photos when it does, great to have a member from Mexico on the forum.