Will these plants make it through the winter? Disease question too

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by plantchick, Sep 27, 2018.

1. plantchick

plantchick Member

Hello,

I have a few questions and don't want to create a bunch of threads so I will post everything here.

This is my first year with a VERY large balcony in Vancouver, so I've experimented, and it's been expensive. Now fall is here I need advice on what I should do to prepare for overwintering and hopefully something will be left for spring.

- Herbs I have Dill, Mint, Rosemary and Basil, all of these seem to have powdery mildew, I have to throw them away don't I? The soil as well? (The Rosemary seems so hardy and keeps growing)

- I have very large planter with A LOT of soil, I've grown tomatoes and a TON of Basil and Swiss Chard. The Swiss chard got Powdery Mildew so I cut it all down and just a week ago the steam of the tomatoes looks a bit moldy. ugh. The Basil is good though. I understand in this planter I must get rid of the plants, but with the Powdery Mildew do I have to get rid of the soil too? There is just so much soil!

- I have a couple small Roto's and Peonies - I read somewhere in fall I should replant them into bigger pots.
    - Small Fig - Store it in a plastic bag outside and don't water.. really?

I've also read on a few sites that I could stop watering plants all together in the winter and they will be fine until the spring, This seems a little crazy, but if this is the case maybe I'll try it.

My "large balcony" has no cover so I'm a bit worried about leaving them to get absolutely drenched in the Vancouver winter rain. I do have a small balcony that is covered. Should I maybe try to move everyone there for the winter? My concern is if they are too crowded some mold or something might form.

ANY advice would be so helpful I've attached a few photos as well.

Thank you in advance!

Attached Files:

2. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

What variety of fig do you have?
    Most figs sold in the Vancouver area are cold hardy but the biggest danger is being in a small pot because it exposes the roots to cold. I would recommend putting it in a larger pot.....possibly even wrapping the pot if necessary to insulate it and protect the roots from the sides of the pot. But good drainage is also very important as plants will rot if they sit in water; lift the pots off the deck to allow rainwater to drain - you can use "pot feet" to do this or even plain bricks so that water doesn't accumulate under the pots. Then place the pot out of the way and wait until spring; you could even put them up against the side wall to give a little added protection from winter winds.
    I would recommend the same advise for any plants you leave potted

3. plantchick

plantchick Member

Hi pmurphy, Thank you for your response. I'm not sure what kind of fig I have, but it was sold to me in Vancouver, so I'm sure it is rated for our winters. I will take your advice on the fig and my others and cross my fingers for the spring.