British Columbia: Fresh out of ideas

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Margot, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I am at my wits' end trying to figure out what to plant on a rather large slope above a section of my garden. It is about 70 feet long and 8 or more feet from top to bottom. It is mostly south-facing but enjoys some shade through the day. The slope is close to 45 degrees. The soil is sandy fill brought in when the driveway was installed. Irrigation covers most of the space.

Of course I want it to be attractive but low maintenance is my main concern because it's downright dangerous to work there. Weeds are under control but arbutus leaves rain down in profusion from mid-May until September and Garry Oak leaves from September to November.

Some plants that have grown there so far and not worked out for various reasons are: Crocosmia x crocosmiiflora, Shasta daisy, Foxgloves and other self-seeded lovelies.

Chamaecyparis pisifera filifera aurea and an old prostrate juniper are doing very well - maybe similar small conifers are the way to go?

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

What are your thoughts on kinnikinnick?

3. Margot

That is a good thought. I did try a few plants a number of years ago but it didn't take - probably too dry while it was trying to get established. There is some self-seeded cotoneaster and lithodora but I'd prefer a native groundcover like kinnikinnick. Thanks.

4. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

If you decide to go with more conifers maybe Microbiota decussata would be worth considering.

5. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I like mahonias for year round interest.

6. Margot

Microbiota decussata is definitely worth considering . . . I researched it several months ago for another location but didn't realize how low or wide it grows.

I do have lots of Mahonia aquifolium because it grows everywhere on my property - it has so much going for it.

I was also looking at Gaultheria mucronata and Leucothoe spp. but I think my slope is too sunny and/or dry.

Thanks for your suggestions.