Acer palmatum 'Amber Ghost'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mjh1676, May 10, 2005.

1. Maple_Lady

Maple_Lady Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

jfuller, most JMs burn their leaves during the first summer because the roots are not established. You are correct that its coloration will be different next year. Amber Ghost along with several other Ghost maples have a lot of differences in color and leaf size from year to year. Peaches and Cream also tends to vary from one spring to another, but when it is right on - it is indeed Peaches and Cream. I don't think that having much less sun will affect your Amber Ghost. I like the more subtle shades like pink, lavender, and light green.

jfuller likes this.
  2. mlejazz

mlejazz New Member

My young Amber Ghost .
    Taken may 3 2018 . second May 6 2018

Attached Files:

3. Maple_Lady

Very nice. Do you have other ghost maples?

4. mlejazz

mlejazz New Member

Yes one Purple Ghost , I'm not really Impressed ( But I think I did not find the ideal location )

And one sister Ghost , I really love this one (still small 28 inchs ) , I bought it at a nursery in france with a true passionate and expert in culture My Sister Ghost is not Grafted but from cuttings , he told me this multiplication made maples that lived much longer ( some others say it makes trees weaker ... ),
    when I repotted it the soil mix surprised me .,
    there was ( silt ) potting soil , clay and sand , I wondered how the roots were not asphyxiated by all this clay , but it's a master for the perfect mix between draining and retain water. ( I contacted him and we had a very interesting conversation about it )
    I have not tried these mixes yet but I really want to learn to develop this technique of culture , it seems like a very natural soil for our favorite trees , but I think very complicated to master this culture technique .
    and me who thought that a japanese maple needed an ultra-draining soil !!

I put a picture and think it is possible to find the perfect mix for our maples .

Best

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  5. Maple_Lady

Wow, clay soil that works - I am not convinced. I am a one woman nursery/grower/collector of JMs. To thrive the roots need to dry out inbetween watering periods. Different climates, different soils, but one thing is certain - poor drainage leads to 99% of the deaths of JMs. Once the maple is weakened with root rot then it is suceptable to Verticillium Wilt and Pseudomonas. The funny thing about JMs is that when the roots are struggling the tips of the branches begin to wilt. This makes people think that it needs more water. Education to share that crispy leaves means more water, but wilting tips means get it out of the pot fast - lol.

Sister Ghost is my favorite 'Ghost' maple. I get all of my maples already grafted in little 4" pots from Talon Buchholz, the man who created the Ghost series. I will send a few pics of my Ghost maples if you like. Thanks, Sam

6. Maple_Lady

My Amber Ghost is now in full sun and I think it hates it. The leaves are huge. I will take a pic and show you.

7. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I thought I would share my Amber ghost :- Spring, Summer and Autumn colours. My favourite is definitely Spring.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  8. Acerholic

This is my Summer 2020 update on this one. The reticulation is not so evident on the 10th July, but the colouring is holding well. It has survived the telling strong winds better than others in my garden.

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

Two photos today 13th July 2020 showing why this cultivar was given its name. Acer palmatum 'Amber ghost '. The underside of the leaves are the give away clue.

Attached Files:

10. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Young 'Amber Ghost' doing well. I also have this one in full shade.

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

@LoverOfMaples, mine gets sun all morning up to around 2pm. The lower leaves are more green that don't get much sun. Hopefully you will get the Amber colours when you move it to more sun D.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  12. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

I will try it to see what colors I get before fall.

13. Acerholic

@LoverOfMaples, good morning D, here is a photo of mine showing the leaves that do not get much sun.

Attached Files:

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  14. Acerholic

This cultivar is getting better and better every day. It just collects rain water and sparkles. 26th July 2020.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

Day three of extreme heat 36° C, the regular updates as promised. Today expected to be hotter. Photo 8th August 2020.

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

11th August 2020 and the heatwave continues, trying to update as many as I can as requested, even if they are not looking too good. Important to do this I feel.
    My Amber ghost, is changing daily depending on the heat. 33° C here today.

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

19th August 2020, lashings of rain for last 3 days, everything is picking up, so a good Autumn display is still on the cards.
    Now the colour starts to become evident again on my Amber ghost. This is a favourite of so many people, the cultivar I mean 'not my tree'.

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

August 24th 2020 and I am keeping the photo diary going the best I can. So much rain and tomorrow 70mph winds forecast. Will the leaves be there for October!!!??
    A new surprise this morning on my Amber ghost, but this year nothing is really surprising!!!

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

7th September 2020 and in Southern England it is getting warmer once again. So surprised to see my maples with such dry leaves this morning. But this year is so very different for so many reasons!!?
    These are of my Amber ghost above and from underneath the leaf.
    Hope it shows the complexity of this cultivar a little better, as photos don't often show the underside of this one.

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

14th September 2020 and although it is going to be hot later, a lovely early morning dew was on my maples.
    Amber ghost in transition is possibly why people love this cultivar at this time of the year the most. I do!!!

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

21st September 2020, the day before the Equinox and still new growth. This will not survive what the end of the week has in store, so I am posting it now.

Attached Files:

22. Acerholic

1st October 2020 and the colours are coming. Plus of course with this crazy year, new growth. Amber ghost has the most lovely new leaves atm. Will make the most of them before the frosts hit.

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

12th October 2020 and my Amber ghost is turning dark on some leaves.
    It is also loosing the ghost like leaves that it has had all Summer. But I think this is important to show.

Attached Files:

24. Acerholic

5th November 2020 and I took this picture to primarily show my Bi hoo, but the lovley crimson leaves of my Amber ghost in the sunshine had to be added.

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

7th November 2020 and my Amber ghost had a mixture of reds that is so often the case just before leaf drop. The sunshine helped of course, but wanted to give it an uninterrupted view this morning.

Attached Files: