acer palmatum 'Koto No Ito'

Discussion in 'Maples' started by bambusue, Jul 21, 2018.

1. bambusue

bambusue New Member

Brand new to this thread and trying to get a photo on. The top 2" of this new little tree has sprouted huge leaves, and i'm wondering if I should take them off or leave them on. I know the ends of each branch have more complete leaves, but these are the full deal..[​IMG] ..

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

3. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Koto no ito is a cultivar that will put off some larger linearilobum leaves on the top and lower branch tips where the tree gets more afternoon sun and when the root zone gets more sun and stays hotter or combination of both. Next spring or a few years down the road as the tree gets established or things around it gets larger and provides more shade, you will find less of these larger/ wider lobe leaves (see picture for reference). Also as the tree gets larger with more branches to provide shade for the root zone you will find less of these leaves. It's not a reversion, it's just the trees way of dealing with the environment around it. It's most commonly seen this time of year as the tree pushes it's Summer growth.

If the leaves are true/traditional amoenum leaves then it would be reversion that needs to be removed. But this is very rare in Koto no ito. It happens seldomly in Atrolineare.

Once a picture is provided I can see the branch and give further guidance on how to proceed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  4. bambusue

bambusue New Member

My Koto No Ito has sprouted these full-sized leaves from the top 2" of the trunk. I am wondering if I should leave these on, or remove them. I have heard of growth from below the bud union, but not this, and am very curious about it. P1000204.JPG
    These leaves are about 4" across. I thank you for your comments so far.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2018
  5. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I think your tree needs a wider pot with free-draining soil.

Mine is in 90% shade, the temps here are somewhere along 30°C (very hot!!!) so I keep most of my potted trees in the shade and when I can, I water them in the morning, in late afternoon, and at night when I'm still awake ....

acerp-kotonoito_sam_180723a.jpg acerp-kotonoito_sam_180723b.jpg

6. bambusue

bambusue New Member

I will check the roots and re-pot in a wider pot. The sun in my photo is about 1-2 hours daily; the remainder of the time it's in shade. Thank you both for your comments. If this grows out and looks good, I'll definitely be posting that, too. I have 5 JM on my deck and all are doing well, except the 2 newest ones need new pots. My other new one is atrolineare/scolopendrifolium atropurpureum and they are all delights.

7. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

It appears your tree is pushing out some Summer growth and the larger leaves are the trees way if adapting to the new environment. This can happen from fertilizer, increase in water, increase in sun exposure.

I would not remove it as next year the leaves or new branches from this stem may appear normal.

I usually just pinch off the new growth at the last open leaf pairs near the tip (leaf embryo) to prevent it from getting too long and promote more uniform growth from the rest of the tree.

Note: The leaf embryo will be between the last pair of leaves at the end of the new growth. It will look like tiny little fingers or hands held in the praying position. Gently grasp it between the tips of two fingers and gently pull it off. Sometimes I feel it's best to use two hands. One to support the stem and developed leaf pair and the other to pinch out the leaf embryo.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  8. bambusue

bambusue New Member

Yes, the leaf embryo does look like two hands in the praying position! Off they go!

9. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Great! You can do that with any single strong shoots of growth on any of your maples after they have formed two to three leaf pairs. It will help prevent long leggy growth that is more prone to disease and failure during seasonal extremes. It will keep your trees looking balanced and full.

10. bambusue

bambusue New Member

Very interested in the pot culture of these trees since I have 5. This is good to know.