Acer palmatum 'Rainbow'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by amazingmaples, May 31, 2012.

1. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

I just added this tree to my garden. I placed it in full sun which may or may not be the best for the tree. Of all the red/pink upright type trees this is the one i have seen the most amount of varigation. it is a very nice tree with mostly dark rich red leaves. On some branches you will get the varigation but not all. It is well worth having in the garden.

Attached Files:

• 095.jpg
      095.jpg
      File size:
      237.2 KB
      Views:
    • 096.jpg
      096.jpg
      File size:
      281.7 KB
      Views:
    • 097.jpg
      097.jpg
      File size:
      254.8 KB
      Views:
    ADAM RADLEY likes this.
  2. amazingmaples

As the tree sits in my yard it looks better and better and is becoming one of my favorites. The pink coloration is coming out more and more. It also has wonderful pinl striping on the bark. I have the tree planted in full sun then again we have not seen the sun this year. If the coloration keeps on this path, I will have a new tree in my top ten list.

Attached Files:

• 025.jpg
      025.jpg
      File size:
      246.4 KB
      Views:
    • 021.jpg
      021.jpg
      File size:
      301.1 KB
      Views:
    • 023.jpg
      023.jpg
      File size:
      197.5 KB
      Views:
    • 024.jpg
      024.jpg
      File size:
      234.6 KB
      Views:
  3. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

I know you've only had the tree a short time, but how would you compare it to Taimin nishiki? Any quirks or sensitivities you've noticed? Curious how well it would stand up to the intense Kansas heat...

4. amazingmaples

I have had two Taimin nishiki for two years and have seen no varigation. As for Rainbow, it has loads of varigation and the varigation has increased since i have put it in the ground.

5. amazingmaples

Here is Rainbow in mid sept 2012

Attached Files:

• 100.jpg
      100.jpg
      File size:
      711.5 KB
      Views:
  6. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I've just bought one today:

acerp-rainbow01_180601a.jpg acerp-rainbow01_180601b.jpg acerp-rainbow01_180601c.jpg

7. ADAM RADLEY

ADAM RADLEY New Member

Just got one yesterday after waiting over a year to find one in the U.K.
    I heard it likes afternoon sun?
    To keep the variegation you need to prune non-variegated branches?

Attached Files:

8. AlainK

I can't give you a definite opinion about exposure, but so far I've found that the variegated specimens I have tend to fare better in semi-shade: sun in the morning and in the evening, but shade during the hottest hours of the day. But perhaps we have more hot sunny days here than in Britain. My son who is now in Belfast told me they've had a heat wave a few days ago... 23°C! Here it was about 30°
    ;°)

I usually prune non-variegated branches because they tend to be stronger and after a while they can take over the variegated branches. This is obvious on variegated Acer negundo planted in a neaby street: half of them have reverted to plain green and on others, half the branches are taking the same path. But I've read different opinions...

Anyway, mine is developping well, the new shoots are a vibrant red (I had to enhance the photos a bit to get closer to the real colour):

acerp-rainbow01_180616a.jpg acerp-rainbow01_180616b.jpg

9. ADAM RADLEY

ADAM RADLEY New Member

Thank you, we have had close to 30 degrees too, hasn't rained for nearly three weeks. I have had to put alot of my trees in shade but my large katsura is in full sun all day doing great. My rainbow got a little crisp on the tips on 1 or 2 leaves but on the whole is ok. The new growth on yours looks amazing. I find adding contrast slighty achieves a more realistic representation.

Attached Files:

10. AlainK

I bought one in June 2019. I left it between a shirasawanum and an 'Emerald Lace' for two years. It developped weeping branches facing the light.

What I like is the colour of the bark, which is really "rainbow-like". I removed it from where it was and put a stake to straigthen the main branch, I will probably do the same for the other one. I didn't think it would grow so fast.

acerp-rainbow01_180601a.jpg acerp-rainbow01_210503a.jpg acerp-rainbow01_210503b.jpg acerp-rainbow01_210503c.jpg acerp-rainbow01_210503d.jpg

Connor Sullivan, Acerholic and Nik like this.
  11. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I know that this one is on a few peoples wish list. Not going to come to the UK for some time I think though, but when it does!!! There will be a rush to buy it.
    Wonderful bark Alain. I'm sure with your Bonsai skills this will be shown off to the fullest to be appreciated.

12. AlainK

Variegated cultivars are not good for bonsai in my opinion. I prefer to enjoy them as potted trees.

13. Acerholic

Interesting Alain, do they become more unstable when used as Bonsai?

14. AlainK

First, I'm not sure all can be long-lived on their own roots, but it's mainly because the colours distract from the shape. Just a personal opinion. But you rarely see variegated bonsai, so...

Lace-leaf maple bonsai are not that frequent either, though I've seen a few nice specimens. Most bonsai enthusiasts prefer maple species with the most common leaf-shape, the plain species, or small-leaved ones (hime family). Those with larger leaves and longer internodes are not very popular either, even if they have great autumn colours, like O sakazuki.

Among those with colourful leaves, Deshojo and the like are a favourite, as well as Katsura.

And of course Acer buergerianum (trident maple) is very popular.

Acerholic likes this.
  15. Acerholic

Quite an insight into the world of Maple Bonsai, thanks Alain.

16. AlainK

17. Acerholic

9th June 2021 and my Rainbow has taken a while to leaf out, but now it has it's showing some nice variegation.
    Rainbow 258.JPG

AlainK likes this.
  18. AlainK

I was surprised by the sharp contrasts on the leaves of mine, now the upper leaves are almost all red.

19. Acerholic

Mine does like the sun to keep a little variegation. Is yours in a lot of shade ?

20. AlainK

It used to be, but it's now in mainly sun (from, say, 10 to 17 or 18). I think the variegation may be better when in a more shaded place, but I'm not sure. I've slip-potted it, and this is what the only branch that got the sun late (from 17 to 20) in late April last year. The rest of the leaves were as variegated as this :

acerp-rainbow01_200430a.jpg

Xi-feng likes this.
  21. Acerholic

Tbh Alain, that's pretty good IMO. If in a pot it can be moved around to get the best out of it, before planting out. Or as some do, keep it in a pot.

22. Acerholic

25th June 2021 and my Rainbow is doing very well and keeping it's variegated leaves.
    Rainbow 278.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  23. Ghost74

Ghost74 Member

So…I’ve managed to snag myself a Rainbow, being delivered this week. Most pleased as I’ve been trying to source one here in the UK for some time. From this thread it seems to need a bit of sun to help with the colour and variegation. The locations I have for it’s new home seem to be all day shade or full southern UK sun 10am - 4pm. As it will be a relatively small graft no doubt, I’m somewhat worried about frazzling it. Any further experiences or advice most welcome. Thanks.

Dan

24. Acerholic

Good evening Dan, Rainbow is one of those that will do very nicely with more rather than less sun. But if you are getting a two-year graft then I would keep it in more shade for this year and then increase the sun in 2022. It is all too easy to want to get the colurs early, but I would recommend a little caution to start with.
    I look forward to seeing you new acquisition soon.

D

Ghost74 likes this.
  25. Ghost74

Ghost74 Member

Good evening D. Thanks for the advice, yes I would certainly want to play it cautiously. I’m curious to compare this cultivar to my “Extraveganza” or “Lileeanne’s Jewel”. They seem very similar, which is fine by me as I’m a sucker for hot pink Acers!