Amaryliss not blooming

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by warmagain, Feb 14, 2006.

1. warmagain

warmagain Member

My dad lives in upstate NY and I gave him a Amaryliss 2 Christmas' ago. The first year it bloomed until after Easter. This year he has a 25" stalk but no flowers. Is he missing something and can he do something to get it to bloom?

Jim Samere

Feel free to email me at: warmagain@yahoo.com

Thanks

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

If it has put up a flower stalk, it may be about to bloom. The timing of the bloom may be different than last year. Does the stallk look healthy?

The key to getting amaryllis to rebloom is allowing the leaves to grow on after the plant blooms until they die back naturally in the fall. If the leaves can trap enough energy and it gets stored in the bulb, the plant should bloom well the following year.

3. warmagain

warmagain Member

he let it die last spring and did not water it untill christmas this year. now has 2 ft. stalk w/no leaves. any hope of it blooming?

4. Dee M.

Dee M. Active Member 10 Years

Not this year, maybe next year if he grows it well and fertilizes it.

5. Eric La Fountaine

6. warmagain

warmagain Member

Thank you Erik, my dad says the stalk grows one in per day and is nice and green too. He fertilizes it once a month with Peters and hopes it comes up with a flower and will take your advice and let it die in the late Spring and then let it rest in a cool cellar until late Fall. Thanks again.

7. Tommyr

Tommyr Member

You MUST tell him to keep the leaves growing until fall. Do not let the plant die (go to sleep) in the spring. These do NOT need dormancy, they are naturally evergreen. They only need a brief sleep period in the late summer/early fall if you want them blooming around xmas time.

Tom

8. ashizuru

ashizuru Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I have found that if you wish your Amaryriliss to bloom the next season they must be grown in plenty of sun light after they have flowered, and feed them with a tomato fertilizer, at half strength,once a fortnite.
    If the weather is warm and sunny put them in the garden in a sheltered spot in the sun,or in your green house.do not let them dry out until the end of the growing season.
    I wish you luck.
    Ashizuru.

9. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

I have four amaryllis's that I look after pretty well. But I am about to give up on them. Right now they all have healthy leaves ranging from 1' to 2' long, very healthy - but this has happened in each of the last few years and they NEVER BLOOM! I put them outside during the summer, do not let them dry out except at the end of the summer when I let the leaves die off - follow the instructions in one of my books - get magnifiacent leaves - but never a hint of a bloom.

10. ashizuru

ashizuru Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi, you do not say if you are feeding them?

Ashizuru.

11. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

No. I had assumedthgat the vigorous growth of the leaves meant that they had everything they needed and hence fert was unnecessary.

12. Eric La Fountaine

Yeah they like some food during the growing stage after blooming. I read once that for every five healthy leaves that the plant puts up, a bloom stalk will form the following spring.

13. Tommyr

Tommyr Member

They are heavy feeders. EVERY plant except carnivorous plants need fertilizer. Half strength every other watering.

Tom