Identification: help in identifying cactus..and somethiing else

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by lcddream, Aug 7, 2005.

1. lcddream

lcddream Member

Hello all. Me and my girlfriend are trying to identify the two plants below any help is appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Joe Keller

Joe Keller Active Member 10 Years

The first one appears to be Opuntia microdasys , the second one appears to be a young Sedum morganium. Joe

3. lcddream

lcddream Member

i did a couple searches with those names, and I think your right. i appreciate it! i had no idea the sedum will eventualy be a hanging plant! looks really cool. thanks again

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Don't touch the cactus - those tiny spines (called 'glochids') come off very easily and are almost impossible to get out of your skin, where they set up a painful irritation

5. lcddream

lcddream Member

yeah hehe...unfortunately i already know that from experience. and yes they are quite pesky to remove from the skin

6. kelley112

kelley112 Member

The first picture is not a Sedum morganium or burrows tail as they are commonly known. from the start the burrows tail droops it never grows up right. I do no know what your mystery plant is but dont get your hopes up about it cascading over the sides of your pot.

7. hamadryad

hamadryad Active Member

Agreed that it's not S. morganianum... but I can't remember its name!! Maybe it'll come to me. Mine, by the way, is doing very well as a hanging plant, does indeed fall over the edge of the pot.

Good luck!