balcony inspiration

Discussion in 'Small Space Gardening' started by Michela77, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Michela77

Michela77 New Member

hello everyone! how are you?
    today I am coming for you, because I am looking for some inspirations how to decorate my balcony..I want to place there a small table, a bench and also a changing chair so I won't have much space for plants..I need some small, maybe changing ones that I can put on my balcony..I was also thinking about creeping strawberries..Do you think it is good idea? What plants would you recommend ?

2. Joan L NW

Joan L NW Member

Hi Michela,
    You would need to tell us how hot it gets in the summer, how cold it gets in winter, what direction your balcony faces, and whether there are any structures or trees shading it. If you face south or west and have reasonably mild winters, there are likely some herbs that you could plant which could be useful as well as decorative. Strawberries are usually happiest in the ground, though they will survive in pots as long as they are properly cared for. It should be a fairly large pot though, or you won't get many berries, and a small pot will dry out fast, resulting in small, mis-shapen berries if you don't keep the soil consistently moist (but not wet). Strawberries also need at least 6 hours of direct sunlight each day. If your winters are really cold, you're probably best off planting new annuals each spring. If your balcony is heavily shaded, there are still some options, but I won't go into that until I hear back from you.