British Columbia: First year Hop growth

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by davesmunroe, Jun 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. davesmunroe

davesmunroe Member

I'm getting very poor growth out of two new hop rhizomes I planted in April (Centennial and Chinook), with just a couple of sprouts producing one small leaf each. I wasn't expecting any cone production in the first year, but the growth I've gotten strikes me as much worse than expected. I started with poor soil, so I put a lot of effort into prepping the soil and adding organic matter, and they're planted in a southern exposure with full sun.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should reasonably expect for first year growth from a Hop plant?

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. davesmunroe

davesmunroe Member

Thanks for the link - it seems as though first year performance is pretty mixed. I haven't been watering much, as I've read about their preference to be well-drained a bit on the dry side, so I'll perhaps step it up a bit, along with some fertilizer/mulch as suggested on there.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

*nod* Once these are happy, they should put on a lot of growth.

5. davesmunroe

davesmunroe Member

I drove past some hop farms in the Okanagan and Fraser Valley this weekend, and all of their bines were in the 8' range, so I got fairly jealous.

6. davesmunroe

davesmunroe Member

Put some blood meal on them, and I'm finally seeing some real growth after a few weeks.

Attached Files:

Daniel Mosquin likes this.