Hellebores Drooping

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by plr256, May 17, 2018.

1. plr256

plr256 Member

My hellebores are suceptible to sudden drooping of their leaves and flowers. Everything will be fine, then some or all of their stalks will be lying flat on the ground with very little ridgidity, if any. Sometimes this can happen quickly (in less than a day) and sometimes they will recover. I don't think it is caused by an animal since the stems are not broken. This occurs across several varieties. Any ideas?

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Watering regime?

3. plr256

plr256 Member

They were on irrigation last year so they got regular water - don't know if too much or too little. Have taken them off irrigation and am watering by hand and monitoring closely. Still some drooping but I don't think as much, though its only been a short time. They are in a shady area. Do hellebores generally like drier or moister conditions?

4. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

More than anything else, hellebores need good drainage. They would rather be moist than dry but can tolerate dryness once established.