What type of Japanese Maple is this?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by SLR2009, May 10, 2018.

1. SLR2009

SLR2009 Active Member 10 Years

Does it look like Baldsmith or something else? Any ideas?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Geezer840

Geezer840 Active Member 10 Years

It may be a Baldsmith or possibly an Otto's Dissectum. If photos are current the Baldsmith should have green leaves under the outer red.

3. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

If you click on the above page numbers on the index list (14) and look at the thread ' Summer leaves at their best now ' dated July 17th 2015 and scroll down to numbers 24# & 25# you will see 27 assorted close up dissectum leaves , this might help you?

4. SLR2009

SLR2009 Active Member 10 Years

Thanks for the help. The photo's are current. Here's what the underneath looks like. Do you see any green? What do you think? Does it look like Baldsmith?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  5. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Sorry for taking so long to reply i was just waiting until my Baldsmith came out fully so i have posted some pics and you can compare the leaf colouring etc , looking at the pics you posted against mine i would have to say no it's not a Baldsmith the leaves on mine are far more deeply cut/incised and a fraction longer , what it is i would not like to say maybe someone else as an idea ??

In the US you have far more different varieties of dissectums than we have in the UK many of which i have never seen before so again sorry i can't shed any light on this one.

Attached Files:

SLR2009 likes this.