Repotting my Rex Begonia

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by plantchick, Apr 5, 2018.

1. plantchick

plantchick Member

I'm looking for any advice to restore my plant to it's former glory.

I bought the most beautiful plant three years ago, it had tall large leaves! After about a year it was really crowed so I bought a pot a size bigger and replanted it.

It did grow across the pot but all the tall leaves died and were replaced my shorter smaller leaves over the last two years. Also, we lived in the most hot apartment ever, we have recently moved somewhere a bit cooler.

I have bought fresh soil and was going to take it out of it's pot and put in some new soil, maybe cut it down a bit so it can focus on growing up rather than out.

Any advice would be most welcome!

Thank you!

IMG_6058.jpg IMG_6059.jpg IMG_6060.jpg IMG_6061.jpg

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I grow some rex begonias. They do not seem to be the strongest growers. I generally try to take leaf cuttings and start new plants each year or two, to keep nice fresh plants. They are fairly easy to propagate. They like warm humid environments., but when they are in new pots with lots of soil, there can be a tendency for diseases to creep in. You have to be careful to keep them moist but not wet. For me the colorful type have been easier to grow than those crinkly leaf type or the snail type.

They generally grow out more than up, so if it had taller bigger leaves before, it is probably a matter of health or it was crowded. They do like rich soil. I usually use dilute soluble fertilizer on them regularly.

I have a different plant that I grow in two different locations and I note where I have lots of warmth, light and regular care, I have a plant 30 cm tall, whereas the same plant in a cool house with limited sun has been growing for years and is less than 10 cm tall.

3. plantchick

plantchick Member

Very helpful! Thanks Eric!