Acer palmatum 'Orange Dream'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Daniel Mosquin, Nov 5, 2003.

1. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

I have some of my Orange Dream in full sun and they do fine but do burn a bit at the top. i think I like the tree best in a shady spot since it seems to brighten it up.

Attached Files:

Purple_storm likes this.
  2. amazingmaples

Here are fall colors for 2011

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  3. paxi

paxi Active Member

nothing better than morning dew + orange dream!

Attached Files:

• OD.jpg
      OD.jpg
      File size:
      272.1 KB
      Views:
  4. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

very nice!:)

5. Francis

Francis Active Member

Maillot :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  6. amazingmaples

Here is a photo showing the differences between Ap 'Aureum' and Ap Orange Dream (Aureum left & Orange Dream Right). I really like both of the trees with Orange Dream being favored for color and Aureum for its nice branch structure.

Attached Files:

7. amazingmaples

This tree has such a great color in on our grey cloudy days.

Attached Files:

• 072.jpg
      072.jpg
      File size:
      240.2 KB
      Views:
    • 080.jpg
      080.jpg
      File size:
      255.3 KB
      Views:
  8. dawgie

dawgie Active Member 10 Years

Purple_storm likes this.
  9. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I know a lot of people have trouble with this one in the Summer months, but as my photo shows, just after 34° C heat in 2020, it was still holding up well. It does need a few years in the ground to enable it to cope with the hot Summers. It is not one for coping well in pots IMO.
    Mine gets moring sun and afternoon shade.

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

August 15th 2020, the photo diary continues as promissed. Everything apart from just a few have held up very well. The heavy rain over the past couple of days has helped a lot. I think we will get a reasonable Autumn show this year fingers crossed.
    Well 7 weeks since my last photo and I thought I would be posting nightmare photos, but look at this, my Orange Dream is looking rather good IMO. I'm very pleased and expecting really good Auutumn colours this year. So surprised!!!!!

Attached Files:

11. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

My Orange Dream over the past 5 years. I like it a lot but I do not have the shade it seems to need to prevent it from burning at the moment. I might put it in a pot again where I can give it some more shade but we will see. It is a strong grower and has reliable spring and fall colour.

Attached Files:

Purple_storm likes this.
  12. Acerholic

@MapleMO, I have mine in deep shade all afternoon, it's the only way to keep the leaves from frying. I was expecting to get some damage from the early August heat, but surprisingly it did OK. Have you considered companion tree planting. I see you have a weeping fir close by but it is rather slow growing to give protection anytime soon. I have planted some Betula Snow Queens to help with shade, as I don't think things are going to get any better heat wise in future Summers.
    Just a thought M !!

13. MapleMO

Thanks D,

Yeah, I planted it there only temporary as it will be too close to the fir as both grow bigger. I hoped it got some shade from the nearby fence but that doesn’t seem to be the case. I am planning to move some stuff around coming fall as it is not in the ground that long and might plant it close to a big leaf magnolia but most trees I have are still quite young so no shade to speak of in the very near future. No birch for me as I am allergic to their pollen!

14. Acerholic

@MapleMO, ahh understand M. Our son is allergic also, so waited until he married and moved out before planting !!! Granddaughters are not, so they can come and stay, and we have them all to ourselves without parental eyes seeing us spoil them. Lol.
    Yes Autumn is a busy time for all of us maple enthusiasts. I am doing the same this year as many others are I'm sure. Look forward to seeing your final position of your Orange Dream next Spring.

Pouring with rain here atm, hope it heads your way M.

15. MapleMO

Hi D,

Just curious but if you would have one shady spot, would you put Orange dream in that spot or Jordan? I got a Jordan earlier this year and it also fried unfortunately so was just wondering if you have a preference? Do you have both in the ground or in a pot?

16. Acerholic

@MapleMO, good evening M, what a question Lol. Yes they are both in the ground very close to each other. Jordan this year has fried, where as Orange Dream has not.
    So with that theory, Jordan would be better in the most shade.

Does that help a little M?

MapleMO likes this.
  17. Acerholic

26th August 2020, the day after a very strong storm. (Francis). An update as requested. So many amazing colours now.
    Still some leaf scorch visible, but look at the new growth!!!!

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

27th August 2020 the winds have died down at last. Some suffered more than others.
    Yes a photo yesterday, but a few want to see how my Orange Dream has coped with the 50mph winds, as it is such a delicate cultivar. I am amazed how it is doing tbh.

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

August 29th 2020 and Autumn colours are very fast approaching. It even feels like we are in October today rather than August. 7° C at the moment.
    After being asked yesterday by a friend how my Orange Dream coped with the storm, I thought I would also post it here to show.
    As can be seen it is the heat only that this cultivar struggles with and not so much the strong winds. As long as its not hot winds that is.

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

9th September 2020 and new growth springing up everywhere. It so warm and today at 0800hrs it was 18°C.
    Surprising me this year with so much heat and strong winds. A good year for my Orange Dream.

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

18th September 2020 and a picture of the whole tree as requsted yesterday. Quite crowded just here, but it seems happier with more around it to give it some protection.

Attached Files:

22. Acerholic

29th October 2020 and my Orange Dream has some Autumn colours at last, but still holding onto Summer. I rather like the contrast.

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

2nd November 2020 and my Orange Dream is holding onto it's colours and leaves incredibly, just so pleased with this cultivar this year. It goes like that with maples, sometimes they just amaze you.

Attached Files:

24. Acerholic

November 3rd 2020 and the sun shone at last, so I had to share the rays through my Orange Dream. I know I posted one yesterday, but I just had to do it.

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

7th November 2020 and my Orange Dream is dropping it's leaves fast now. But it has been a good year. I like the way the fallen leaves show up on my bark mulch. So it gives me pleasure even after they have dropped.

Attached Files: