Hollywood Juniper - Desperately Seeking

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Jennie656, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Jennie656

Jennie656 New Member

Hi! I am looking for 2-3 small (young) Hollywood Junipers but can't find them anywhere in Vancouver. Any suggestions? I just came back from a trip to San Francisco where they are everywhere, and they are so gorgeous. I'm a newish gardener and not sure if I can order these from somewhere if they are not in a garden store here? Thanks for any suggestions, Jennie.

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. Jennie656

Jennie656 New Member

Hi Daniel! Thank you for your reply. I have spoken to them and they said they didn’t have any in right now. Any other ideas or do you know if I can order them to a store in Vancouver? I can see that they are available online if you live in the States. Thanks! Jennie

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

No, sorry--no additional ideas. It might be a matter of waiting for the nursery stock in production from the growers/wholesalers to filter its way to the retailers.

5. Jennie656

Jennie656 New Member

Okay, thanks. I"ll just keep checking with the nurseries. Do you know if they are hard to get t is because it is difficult to grow these plants here? Too wet?
    Jennie

6. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    the venerable Sunset magazine Western Garden Book says they are a popular choice all up and down the Pac NW coast

if you look at their website, there's an article by Steve Lorton (former NW chief for Sunset) - and the juniper you're hankering after is listed (Remember that Sunset zone numbers are different than usual - I actually prefer the Sunset numbers because they are specific to the West and very zonal (micro zonal)

I think your profile (above) says you're in North Van - so sometimes the heavy icy soggy wet snow breaks branches on tall lanky trees and of course, conifers don't grow back quickly

warning - it says it grows fast
    (also - some of us get very itchy rash from junipers - not sure if that's a factor for you)

EDIT - another thought - now that we have our very hot and dry summers, Juniper is for certain NOT a "fire smart" landscaping plant - so if your home/property is in a risk area (forested North Shore) - be careful of adding potential fuel to the "interface" wildfire zones. People in the Okanagan (and down south of the border too) know this but it's not often discussed at the coast.
    Here's a start - lots of references listed at the end of the article - Fire Smart Landscaping in Drought Interface Areas | MGABC

https://www.sunset.com/garden/flowers-plants/every-garden-evergreens

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018