Should I name or not?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by kbguess, Mar 14, 2018.

1. kbguess

kbguess Rising Contributor 10 Years

I am propagating a maple that I grew from seed that in my opinion is exceptional.

When I give away copies should it get a name?

Thanks

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Bottom line: is it readily distinguishable from other related named cultivars. If yes, name it; if no, don't bother.

kbguess likes this.
  3. kbguess

Thanks Michael
    I will attach a name when I distribute it.
    Something that "resin-ates" I hope.
    Appreciate your many contributions to my conifer knowledge over the years

4. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Keith,

I think you need to evaluate for years, with a maple, before naming. At Esveld as I recall, they use the 15-15 rule: 15 years and clearly unique from 15 meters. How old is your plant, what's different about it?

There are sooo many JM cultivars, my view is far too many are named that aren't truly different from existing named varieties. We actually discussed this problem at the recent symposium.

Anyway there is nothing stopping you from naming it if you think it's really worthwhile. You can register it as a cultivar with the ICRA, there's no evaluation of whether it's "worthy" as it were.

I have had many good seedlings but haven't named one yet. Have been tempted though, and after time, who knows. I think that since a lot of people chase new cultivars, there is some incentive for folks in the trade to name them...

cheers,

-E

patdero1, kbguess and AlainK like this.
  5. kbguess

Appreciate your input Emery.

This is a shirasawanum or hybrid. About 8 or 9 years old now. First saw seed last year (on late summer growth)

The only similar shirasawanum that I am aware of is 'Sensu.' The habit of my seedling seems much more upright & narrow based on the pictures of larger 'Sensu' that I have seen. Since I am not currently growing 'Sensu' I cannot assure that my seedling is distinct.

I think I will acquire a couple of 'Sensu' this spring and then grow out side by side with propagates from my seedling to compare habit and similarities/differences over the coming years.