Outdoor Gardening in the Pac NW Resources Discussion

Suppliers of outdoor trees, shrubs and herbaceous plant, many offering mail order or online purchase

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

wcutler submitted now two resources:

Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest: Nurseries
    Links to websites featuring suppliers of outdoor trees, shrubs and herbaceous plants, some offering mail order or online purchase.

Discuss resources on the list, and submit suggestions for ones to be added to the list. If your favourite nursery is not included there, post it in this thread with a working link.

Read this resource...

AND

Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest - Online and Written Resources
    Links to websites with information particularly about gardening in the Pacific Northwest. Note that there are separate resource pages for for Pacific Northwest Native Plants Resources, and Plants Identification Resources. So reply to this thread with more suggestions of sites you find helpful or books you have found helpful, about gardening in the Pac NW, but not specifically for using native plants or for plant identification.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

This is my favorite local nursery: Cedar Rim Nursery in Langley, BC. It has a wide selection of fruit trees, small fruits, and many other plants, providing PDF files with lots of useful information about each variety available.

3. wcutler

Thank you, @vitog, for the suggestion complete with link and blurb. I've added it to the resource page.

4. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

Good news for those that like the unusual, I just received news that Far Reaches Farm - a rare plant specialty nursery in Port Townsend Washington - is now shipping to Canada.

Far Reaches Farm

Georgia Strait likes this.
  5. wcutler

Thanks. I've changed the comment in the Resource file.

6. Carlin

Carlin Member

7. Carlin

Carlin Member

8. Carlin

Carlin Member

whats really needed is a good source for plc peaches (like nanaimo, indian free etc.)

9. wcutler

Are those all fruit-focused? I could also add them to the Fruit and Nut Trees resource page.

10. Carlin

Carlin Member

yeah they all have a fruit component at least (ie pheonix perrenials does mainly flowers etc but has maypop (hardy passionfruit), hardy kiwis and whit alpine strawberrie)

11. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    I have just checked on Gardens West and found out it went bankrupt several years ago. I have posted here on UBC Forums in the past few years but not much at all in the last year or two, as my garden was stable, more or less. I'd like to get back in touch. What are some members' favourite gardening magazines now, or are such things more or less gone from the marketplace... I do miss Gardens West. Do you have a "small gardens" forum?

12. wcutler

We do. It's at Small Space Gardening.
    You can see that I have moved your posting to the discussion thread for resources related to the Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest forum, since mostly you have commented on and asked about magazines, which I am considering a resource. If any useful replies regarding magazines are posted here, I can add them to the Resource thread for this topic, Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest: Nurseries (link is in the first posting here in this sticky discussion thread for this resource). I think we'd rename the thread so it includes more than nurseries.

This thread is just for Resources related to this topic. You have to decide when you post something whether your posting is more related to Pacific Northwest matters or to small gardens in general and start a new thread in the more relevant forum.

13. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    I hope I'm allowed to share another botanical garden's amazing website - so informative.

esp for all the questions - what should I choose for this spot / location / purpose etc in the coastal Pac NW (coastal Cascadia) - go to this website!

I was trying to ID some hostas I have (just like another posting person on here) and came across the Miller Botanical Garden in Shoreline WA (nr Edmonds / Seattle WA)

great photos, very interesting history, the woman (Mrs Miller) behind the garden was quite the plantswoman.

I note that a person associated w/ the UBC garden is on one of the plant committees.

My only "peeve" (I realize it's nonprofit) would be that when they show a photo highlighting "XYZ hosta" that they would name the others around it. Or for another example, show the maple tree, tell me what else is around it in the photo caption.

start here GreatPlantPicks dot org
    Great Plant Picks: Unbeatable Plants for the Maritime Northwest Garden

Gwen Miller likes this.
  14. wcutler

Thanks for the link, and especially for the blurb!
    I have the resource set up as just nurseries right now, will mull a bit about whether I think there will be a lot more nurseries and I will have to split up the file anyway (there is some mysterious-to-me size limit), may as well just set up a new resource for Pac NW info. I haven't added it or set up the new resource yet, will get to it. If you have another link or two to sites you like for Pac NW info, reply here, as that will make it easy for me to decide how to do it.

15. wcutler

16. wcutler

I came across the GrowGreen Guide blog on Facebook, posted for the article by Douglas Justice called Why Grow Trees? The article is more than that, with quite a good description of how to plant trees. This page, called Green Thumb News, has several other articles on various aspects of gardening.
    https://growgreenguideblog.ca/

The GrowGreen website is the work of Metro Vancouver (previously the GRVD), in collaboration with UBC Botanical Garden. It opens with features on Designing your space and Finding the right plant.
    Grow Green Guide Home