Fiddle Leaf Fig - Hydroponically Grown

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Oliver - HappyGrün, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Oliver - HappyGrün

Oliver - HappyGrün Member

Hi, I have a small challenge with a Fiddle Leaf Ficus. We delivered the plant approximately 4 month ago to one of our clients. Overall, the plant was and is beautiful, the roots grow strong and are healthy, there is no evidence of pests.

We use a special Ion-Exchange Fertilizer which is specially mixed to the soft water here in Vancouver. So the nutrient level is very consistent which I verified by checking the PPM and pH values.

For the last four month, the plant was doing great, however approximately 2 weeks ago it started to loose some leafs. Overall the plant still looks very health, except single leafs which eventually fall off.

I attached some pictures of the overall tree and one of the leafs which came off.

The only thing I can thing off is insufficient lighting. We moved the plant to a brighter spot and I may install a temporary grow light.

What else could it be? Any suggestions or ideas? :).

Thanks!!!!! IMG_6522.JPG IMG_1813.JPG IMG_3690.JPG

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

There was a long very dark period in Vancouver prior to the leaf loss, so light could certainly be a factor for this tropical tree. I wonder also about the temperature. Is that a heated enclosed porch?

I'm trusting that you know that these Ficus will actually grow well hydroponically. It's not something I know anything about.

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

The fallen leaves appear to be relatively small and differ in shape. Might this be a case of the tree shedding it's juvenile, and therefore its oldest leaves?

4. Oliver - HappyGrün

Yeah, most plants actually do great in our hydrocutlure system, only plants with bulbs can be critical. I thought the same, a couple of weeks ago it was a very grey and dark period. Hopefully moving it will help. Its a loft in Yaletown, so temperature shouldn't be an issue. Funny enough it is all on one side, which kind of supports the idea of light. Maybe this was the breach away from the window. Thanks so much for your input!

5. Oliver - HappyGrün

Hi, thanks for your response. Actually all the leafs are from one branch and it started from the top, where the newer leafs are. So not sure if this means anything or not.

6. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

That's what you don't want, having the problem at the growing tip.

I would still suggest being careful about the temperature - you want good light, but in the winter, window areas can be cold. If it's a new loft, the windows are probably double-glazed, so maybe not a problem.

7. Oliver - HappyGrün

Its actually an older building, so I can see how this could be an issue. I will ask the client to move the planter a little away and will give him a temporary grow light.

I am so happy I signed up to this forum, it feels great to have people out there to chat about these things :)

Thanks!

wcutler likes this.