Acer palmatum 'Taylor'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Gomero, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Jeffers

Jeffers Member

I have had Taylor now over winter. Started off this spring too break out it's leaves and then pretty much died back leaving only the end leaves alive. Is this normal when wilt strikes this variety?

2. ashizuru

ashizuru Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

You do not say whether your growing in a container or the ground, this acer is extremely difficult to grow successfully, if in the ground, it must be in a sheltered spot, with free draining soil, it likes filtered sunlight, and does'nt like cold winds.It seems to favour warmer climes, so choosing your spot is paramount.

If you are growing it in a pot, you must use a free draining compost, and never let it dry out, or over water it, it will not tolerate water logged conditions.
    If grown successfully it is well worth the extra trouble it needs.

In the main they are grafted plants, but recently in the garden centres, I have seen cultivars from Holland grown on their own roots,presumely from cuttings which seemed very vigourous and healthy.This form of propagation seems to be coming more popular with maples of late.

3. Jeffers

Jeffers Member

thanx for that. It is growing in a pot and the cold/wind chill effect may explain why the whole plant is not dead and the tips are still "alive", for now at least.

4. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

This is a very short lived plant. I have bought 5 since 2005. I have tried planting them in pots or in the ground in a very sheltered spot but to no avail, they all die after 2-3 years in cultivation. Today I have only one left, the one I bought in 2011, grown from a cutting, which is in a pot in a sheltered position.

Gomero

5. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

Oh no Gomero!This could have been one of my favourite maples because it held plain pink leaves all year.My cutting grown one only lasted one season but I always envied you as you seemed to be the only one who'd managed to keep it going for a few years.Sorry to hear you've lost that one now,I don't think I'll be getting another then.

6. bigjohn33

bigjohn33 Active Member

i got one in the ground since 4 years now
    It is in a shady place in the garden, really protected from wind
    No dieback and it seems ok
    i hope it will live because of the smashing pink leaves
    It is the favorite tree of my young daughter
    How did your taylors die gomero ? and when ? (spring sudden death after leafing ?)
    thanks

7. Gomero

Mainly spring die-back, i.e.: bacterial (pseudomonas) infection. Plants were weakened year after year and one spring there was no leaf-out.
    Even though I have not done it yet, I think that one way to successfully grow this plant would be to have it in a pot and winter the pot in a sheltered, dry place.

Gomero

8. Gomero

Mainly spring die-back, i.e.: bacterial (pseudomonas) infection. Plants were weakened year after year and one spring there was no leaf-out.
    Even though I have not done it yet, I think that one way to successfully grow this plant would be to have it in a pot and winter the pot in a sheltered, dry place.

Gomero

9. Gomero

Well, the last one is also dead.
    That's it for me, I will not grow this cultivar anymore......., I have tried 5 times, that's fair enough ;-))

Gomero

10. SLR2009

SLR2009 Active Member 10 Years

I'm interested in getting this Japanese Maple but I'm undecided because of all the negative reviews. Is anyone growing this Japanese Maple successfully?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  11. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

maybe in USA have more resistence then UE-

SLR2009 likes this.
  12. ashizuru

ashizuru Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I've had three Taylors and all have succumbed to wilt, and bacterial desease, the last one I had was grown on it's own roots, which I thought might give it a chance, but the next year after planting it failed to leaf out, I shall not be trying any more.

SLR2009 and alex66 like this.
  13. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Yes, I've also given up on Taylor. Too bad, it looks like it should be an attractive maple. But I've had no luck at all in a few tries.

SLR2009 and alex66 like this.
  14. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Thought I would mention my friends, who against advice bought a Taylor in the Spring. Guess what, it's now in the bin.
    Do not buy this cultivar !!!! My opinon by the way.

15. alex66

after many years my idea is this.,Taylor must be grafted like Izu no Odoriko ,with one part of fogliage green and cultived in the green house i see many photo of Mr.Yano (by Facebook) and i ask to Mr.Yano the best way for cultived some cultivar ,pot or open soil ?the reply was: in the green house-of course Izu no Odoriko is easy to dead...too

16. Acerholic

@alex66 good afternoon Alex, a very good point. I also wonder if the rootstock should be experimented with in the case of Taylor, as garden centre purchases of this cultivar are just not surviving.

17. alex66

this is my last Izo no Odoriko (note graft point)..last in every sense if dead i not buy again this cultivar :)

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

@alex66 , I wish you good luck Alex. A lot will be interested to see how it fares a couple of years down the line.

19. TY_jmple

TY_jmple Active Member

I wonder if anybody has successfully grown taylor into a mature tree since it's known to not thrive. I have managed to keep mine alive (first 4 pics) so far and I wonder if the reverted branches (common for variegated variety) needed to be kept to help grow the tree into maturity. I have been pinching the reverted branches out since I find them unsightly. I found some pictures on the net (last 2 pics) where reverted branches are kept on a mature tree.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  20. Acerholic

Good afternoon, in reply to your question, NO is the answer. I have tried on three occasions to grow this tree with out success as has my daughter and our friends. All have died in the first few years. This has been from very young grafts to 4 year old trees.
    So I carry out the three strikes and out method and I will not go down this route again.
    Sorry to be so blunt, but it had to be said.

21. TY_jmple

TY_jmple Active Member

Well, I was hoping for people who grow them in very mild winter climate (eg. no deep freeze, thick snow, fairly mild winter where tender perennial plants survive outside without protection) to share their experience. It appears that Taylor tend to not survive in harsher winter climate.

22. Acerholic

Lol, I'm just up the road from you on South Coast, not exactly the Arctic. But the last two weeks it might well have been......
    Good luck with your Taylor, it would be nice to see someone with success for this cultivar. It is a very pretty maple, hence so much interest about it in Spring.

23. Acerholic

@TY_jmple regarding your comment about reverted branches, I find it is an ongoing problem with variegated trees. But they must be taken out as soon as they are seen, otherwise it takes no time at all for the reversion to to take over completely. My Butterfly takes a lot of work every year, but worth it.

24. TY_jmple

TY_jmple Active Member

What a stunning tree if grown successfully. This variety launched in 2004 and is still being sold in nurseries these days. I hope more people will share their success story in growing this cultivar rather than just failures (they can't be all dead since 2004 or bought as annuals). Some of the more mature trees found in a Polish forum Zielono Zakręceni: Klon palmowy (Acer palmatum) 'Taylor' (1/1)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LoverOfMaples and Acerholic like this.
  25. Acerholic

Beautiful examples indeed, makes me want to try a fourth time!!!