status change to forma, or not?

Discussion in 'Plants: Nomenclature and Taxonomy' started by ophioglossum, Oct 26, 2017.

1. ophioglossum

ophioglossum New Member

The name Dryopteris filix-mas forma incisa is attributed by various authors to (Moore) Hayek, Flora von Steiermark. Hayek, however, in this Flora doesn't explicitly mention the rank, but transfers the variety incisa to the genus Dryopteris: "γ <gamma> incisa (Moore) Hay."

Am right to think that this does not constititue a status change from var to forma?

The listing of subtaxa under filix-mas is introduced by the sentence: "Nach dem Grade der Blatteilung kann man folgende Formen unterscheiden:" (according to the degree of incissions, the following forms may be discerned). The German word "Form" includes forma, no doubt, but is more generic than that, and used in a generic sense elsewhere in the text.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

From what you've written in your interpretation, I would agree with you.

3. ophioglossum

ophioglossum New Member

OK, then the correct author citation would be to find the first one that makes the wrong interpretation (sofar I found Weatherby, 1935), so

Dryopteris filix-mas f. incisa (Moore) Weath. non Hayek, Am. Fern J. 26[2]: 60 (1935) ?

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, if I am following everything correctly. I'd like to have a look at the original papers myself to be certain.

5. ophioglossum

ophioglossum New Member

6. Daniel Mosquin

Well, it all seems to hinge on the context and use of the German word Forma. The fact that the forms were listed doesn't prevent valid publication by Hayek:

From article 32.1 of the ICBN:
    But, to your first point, there does seem to be some indication that the Code looks at the author's intent (in this case, specifically re: the word Forma). If, like you suggest, it wasn't meant in the nomenclatural sense, then the Weatherby name would be correct.

7. ophioglossum

ophioglossum New Member

I will re-check the usage of the word "Formen" in Hayek's work. Art. 37.3 requires a clear indication of its rank, so if doubt remains, I'll proceed as in 37.3 ex 4. Thanks for your comments!