Propagation: Fun seedlings

Discussion in 'Maples' started by emery, Sep 11, 2016.

1. tiko7

tiko7 Active Member

Update on my funny seedling `Shishigashira lookalike`

Attached Files:

opusoculi and emery like this.
  2. opusoculi

opusoculi Rising Contributor 10 Years

Here is this year, what i obtain from Acer shirasawanum aureum seedling.
    The tree where i made the taking away, witch i knew for a long time was rather old, it did not pusch much but did not seem sick. It was alone of its species in a large raised 2 hectare garden surrounded by pine forest and meadows.
    Young plants obtained are of typicaly yellow-green-clearly-luminous of shirasawanum aureum and first sheets does not make think of hybrids. It is necessary to expect their development to be about it on because the morphology of young Acer is changing. But i have good hope.

Attached Files:

3. tiko7

tiko7 Active Member

Hi guys, I found an one year palmatum seedling with an alternate pattern of branching. I thought they always grow with opposite buds.
    Is that out of ordinary ? Will take some photos tomorrow.

4. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Hmm...

Are you sure ther aren't any Liquidambar styraciflua around?

Or if this is a maple, it's a breakthrough in genetics...

5. tiko7

tiko7 Active Member

I was under the same impression. Can not wait untill tomorrow to take pictures and see what sort of seedling it is:)

6. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Um, if it's alternate, it's not a maple...

7. tiko7

tiko7 Active Member

Here is an update of my seedlings "Shishigashira Look-alike".
    Do you know of a similar cultivar with small leaves ?
    In the first picture the acer in the background is Red Emperor
    CIMG2661.JPG CIMG2655.JPG

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  8. AlainK

We can be sure of one thing now: it's definitely an Acer palmatum.

About cultivars with small leaves, there are actually quite a few, like 'Koto Hime', 'Little Princess' (aka 'Mapi no Machi Hime'), etc. I also have an A. p. 'Crispifolium', similar to 'Shishigashira' and often sold under this name, but the internodes are even shorter so that doesn't match the photos of yours.

Where did your seeds come from? I reviewed the thread and saw that you got 4,000+ seedlings! Wow... ;-)

tiko7 likes this.
  9. AlainK

Any update on this beautiful one?

You said that the mother plant was 'Green Star', but the shape of the leaves (and the colour) makes me think of 'Trompenburg' as one of the potential cross-pollinizer... (???)

10. tiko7

tiko7 Active Member

Actually I have got many strange seedlings. CIMG2668.JPG
    I collect seeds from three diferrent places and all awkward seedlings are from a tree in a warm climate (7 zone)
    I grow them in 6a zone.
    From 4500 seedlings at the end of the first year after grading I get less than half good for grafting.
    Only a quarter are vigorously growing, the rest are medium size .
    I just finished 1200 grafts using the T-cut budding as I don`t have enough scion material. CIMG2671.JPG

The ones I made on the first of August already seems to be healing. CIMG2684.JPG

emery, opusoculi and AlainK like this.
  11. AlainK

I've just tried 5 summer grafts, and apperently none of them succeded.

We're not playing in the same category I'm afraid ;-)

Well, keep us posted, I'm sure that some of your "freak" maples will turn out to be very nice new cultivars.

tiko7 likes this.
  12. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

'Chocolate Curl' was again true to it's (maybe!) name this year, it lived through the freeze and put on some growth. Looking quite shabby now though... We'll see if the fall colors are again very good.

13. AlainK

I got three last year, in the same black "tomato pots". The only produced a couple of leaves and I thought they wouldn't pass the winter, but they survived, so I potted them in slightly larger pots, addid some Osmocote to the mix.

Here they were in March, then in April:

acershir-a.moon-sem1_170324a.jpg acershir-a.moon-sem1_170326a.jpg acershir-a.moon-sem1_170401a.jpg acershir-a.moon-sem2_170324a.jpg acershir-a.moon-sem2_170401a.jpg acershir-a.moon-sem3_170401a.jpg

At the end of July: it seems they like being fertilized!

acershir-a.moon-sem0_170731a.jpg

One of them a couple of days ago:

acershir-a.moon-sem3_171013a.jpg

14. opusoculi

Yours look fine !
    Unfortunately my young seedlings did not support the heat of June (37° C). The 2 sheets roasted then the seedlings entirely dried.
    None survived.

15. AlainK

That's a pity...

Perhaps you'll get another chance if you're a member of the Maple society: the Seed Distribution Scheme - 2017

Maybe someone can collect A. shir. 'Aureum' seeds and you'll get some.

If you're not a member yet, the membership fee is quite cheap: 17 GBP, which is a little less than 20 € for a year, and 4, full-colour, captivating newsletters (actually, a 36-page A5 booklet you'll get in your mailbox. Plus a portait of the Queen on the enveloppe! ;°)).

I received seeds about 50 different species/cultivars last year, but I left them unattended for several weeks, I should have startified them right away. Got a few seedlings though, I'll post photos later because it's already dark now.

So think about it :
    20€ for the membership, plus 9 € for the annual seeds scheme, that's really worth it.

PS: I don't get paid for that, and neither are any of the members who organise events, collect seeds, sort them out and send them. And neither are the authors of the in-depth articles in the newsletter.

Et si tu as besoin d'aide en anglais, n'hésite surtout pas à m'envoyer un message privé, je me ferai un plaisir de t'aider)

Alain K.

16. opusoculi

Dear Alain, I thank you for your kind proposal. I will think of it more especially as the photograph of the worthy Queen of England would be a great attraction (sic).
    It should be said that she speaks French very well, much better than I do speak English, although I manage to render comprehensible me.

I realized in Japan that basic English allowed to obtain answers of one plus a large number of Japanese poeple. The reason is that a too perfect English expression impresses them and they keep silent. It is to be better put together at the same level of language
    I find in this advantage a good reason of not doing too much progress. And then when I address to English, I make a point of appearing foreign to them! They have of it more consideration!
    That to say that I do not fear to make faults; I thank you for proposing your private assistance to write in the best english, but at my age, you know, to appear a little awkward and obsolete is funnier.

17. AlainK

I fully understand: I always tell my pupils that one of the best way to learn English is to go to a non-English speaking country but where people can speak English. Or "Globish" if you prefer.

For instance, my first long stay in Britain was in Scotland. Er... No, that doesn't count, although when I first heard "Cam to me hoos', let's have a wee dram", it sounded all Grrreek to me... ;°)

Anyway, I didn't want to sound patronizing, it was just to offer my help if you didn't understand part of a message or of an article.

Back to "fun seedlings", nothing extraordinary about this Acer rufinerve (from last year's seed exchange programme), except that I was very surprised at how well they grew here. I had read somewhere that they develop slowly in the first years, but the 10 or so I have are thriving. Again, I put half a tea-spoon of slow-release fertilizer in the mix, but still, they're very vigorous.

One of the tallest, 55 cm, with very large leaves:

acer-ruf_sem17_171017a.jpg acer-ruf_sem17_171017b.jpg

The "snake-bark" pattern is already visible at the base of the seedling:

acer-ruf_sem17_171017c.jpg

18. AlainK

Other seedlings (that I should have repotted in larger pots) from seeds collected by the members of the Maple Society:

acerp-sem17_171017a.jpg

An Acer pseudosieboldianum var. Takesimense:

acer-pseudosieb-tak_171017a.jpg

The other two are from a bag labelled "mixed".

I wish the inward curling leaves are not only the result of a feww very dry days:

acerp-sem17_171017b.jpg

This other one has the charcteristics of the "Shojo" ("red-face monkey"), with bright red new leaves:

acerp-sem17_171017c.jpg

tiko7 and 0soyoung like this.