Identification: ID cf. Coral Mushroom

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by sepo, Sep 10, 2017.

1. sepo

sepo Active Member 10 Years

Found in rich wet old growth forest on humic soil. Trees - Sugar Maple and Yellow Birch. It grows in a group of about 10 individual clumps. It is much bigger than other coral mushrooms in this area.
    Could it be a species of Tremellodendron?
    Quebec, Gatineau Park.
    Thank you for help!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  2. sepo

This looks like Tremella reticulata

3. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

The Tremellodendrons (& similar) I'm familiar with are more spathulate, at least at maturity ... this looks more like a Clavulina just starting out.
    The first photo looks like it is heading in a C. rugosa direction, and I understand this species is also in your area. However waiting a bit to see how it develops may be helpful.
    Thank you for noting the trees - I'm not sure what Clavulina associates are in Quebec regions: Perhaps another person online could chime in on this?

4. sepo

Hi Frog,
    I compared Clavulina rugosa pictures with my pictures and it looks like that Tremella reticulate is still a better fit. I attach another picture of it. What do you think?

Attached Files:

5. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Thank you, from that photo, I do now see what you mean - it strongly resembles photos of T. reticulata, and the tips are looking flatter.
    Hard for me to help with this ID, as I am unfamiliar with Tremella reticulata, an east coast resident.
    Generally in the field I find it easy to distinguish our "jellies" from coral mushrooms ... but in this case it look like they have a similar appearance. The gelatinous nature of the Tremella should distinguish it from a non-gelatinous Clavulina coral.