Identification: Just popped up

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Unregistered, Dec 10, 2005.

1. I recieved a plant from my mother in law, and about 6 months later another plant (unlike the first) started to grow. Of course I don't have a picture, that would be too easy. It has succulent type leaves, long and jagged like a saw blade, It is green on the top of each Leaf but on the underside it looks like it has tiger stripes. It produces little green flower type seeds(from each point on the leaf), they fall off and start another plant.It is about 3 ft tall, 4 leaves per row. Seems to grow in any tye of enviroment. Any ideas? I have probably 50 of these little plants growng whever the seed falls. It is in a container now, I have given away tons of the "babies" no one knows what it is.I am obviously not a gardener, I could probably kill a silk flower. This plant will not die.I like it, but am very curious as to what it is and where it came from.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I don't know about the undersides of the leaves, but does it look like this plant?

3. Casper

Casper Member

Bryophyllum styled succulent

4. Rima

Rima Active Member

It's called a Mexican hat plant - they were a big fad about 40 yrs ago!

5. kelley112

kelley112 Member

They are also know as "mother of 10,000" transplant it and treat it like a cactus and watch it go. Before you know it you'll have 10,000!